new carb

MCluvsacj5

I have a 1974 cj5 with the 304 v8. It has the Edelbrock Performer manifold with a Carter AFB- 4 barrel. I want to get rid of that carb because it gives me nothing but problems. My question is: has anyone ever tried using a Ford 4100 shoebox carb
on this engine ? It is 625 cfm just like the afb, but alot easier to work on, I used to have one on a 67 Mustang way back when. I eagerly await your response.

The 4100 should do just fine. The original carb for the 304 was a motocraft 2100. A 2 barrel cousin of the 4100.

I just got to the bottom of my AFB, turned out the throttle shafts needed bushings.... and a new float for the one that sank

My only trouble with my AFB after addressing the float, was the leaking throttle shafts (bushings corrected that) and the seat part of the needle/seat was way too large that came in the rebuild kit and my maladjustment of the accelerator pump. This comes from working of this piecemeal as my work intrudes often with things I'm trying to accomplish (7 day work week)

Back