scary moment

cougarlasch

hey there jeepers. tonight i had a oh &^%$ moment. i live in new jersey and we are getting alot of rain from this hurricane that was in mexico. well i was driving home tonight from picking my wife up from work and there was a deep puddle on the side of the road. the passenger side tires hit the puddle yanking the wheel and almost causing me to go into a spin. the water covered the windsheild so i could not see anything in front. luckily the guy behind me was far enough away to avoid an accident. and i did not hit the curb bending anything. but it was scary. the jeep is a 99 tj w/ 4inch lift and 3 inch body lift. 33 in tires.
anyone else ever have this happen? just curious.

Sounds like there was a pothole in that puddle.

Hydroplaning is never fun. Hitting a deep puddle at speed can act like that one wheels brake locking up. Given the width of the tires, tread, wear, inflation... As well as your suspensions condition (both shocks and springs) you can get into these spin situations easier.

Other than have we experienced it was there another question or concern. Just sharing is fine too.

I've been yanked into the other lane before, but nothing as bad as you mentioned.

I bet you slow down for the next puddle!

Be carefull out there ,our steed is a breed of it's own. Made for trails, where the $hit gets deep.

Years ago I had a 69 bronco with 33s that was bad to hydroplane but the fix was always the same - ​slow down in the rain! I've had water try to take the wheel out of my hand before but never lost control more than a second or two BUT I always slow down when the conditions warrant.

yup, hitting puddles always pulls the vehicle to that side, no matter what you are driving. just slow down or go around them

You can't really control how slippery they could be with all other elements together with the wet road. Keep safe out there..

When you have taller tires they get wider too. I went from 30" to 32" and I experienced the same thing
Same tread pattern on both tires. 9.50 were fine 10.5 width not good

hey there jeepers. tonight i had a oh &^%$ moment. i live in new jersey and we are getting alot of rain from this hurricane that was in mexico. well i was driving home tonight from picking my wife up from work and there was a deep puddle on the side of the road. the passenger side tires hit the puddle yanking the wheel and almost causing me to go into a spin. the water covered the windsheild so i could not see anything in front. luckily the guy behind me was far enough away to avoid an accident. and i did not hit the curb bending anything. but it was scary. the jeep is a 99 tj w/ 4inch lift and 3 inch body lift. 33 in tires.
anyone else ever have this happen? just curious.

I've been driving jeeps for about 25years now and still remember the first time (with 31x10.5) I felt like I lost control on pavement in a deeper puddle or snow. Not a good feeling so quickly (no pun intended) learned to slow down

i live in New Jersey, and coming from the Parkway to rt 287 there is a sharp curve. I hit a patch of black ice at 40mph with the same 99 tj before it was lifted but with mudders and i drifted that thing around the curve like a skyline in fast and furious tokyo drift. everything turned out ok but i dont wanna do that again. kicking the rear of a jeep out aint fun unless your in a parking lot full of snow doing donuts.
:O)

i live in New Jersey, and coming from the Parkway to rt 287 there is a sharp curve. I hit a patch of black ice at 40mph with the same 99 tj before it was lifted but with mudders and i drifted that thing around the curve like a skyline in fast and furious tokyo drift. everything turned out ok but i dont wanna do that again. kicking the rear of a jeep out aint fun unless your in a parking lot full of snow doing donuts. :O)
you are right!!!

What gets me is my jk has an idiot light that lets you know when the rear wheels loose traction ..... like I wouldn't know that the tires are spinning or the rear end has kicked out.

it should also kick on the traction control and stop the wheels from spinning. thats how my wife's old jk was.

Ya, it does make the traction control kick in :) which IMO is one of the better features of the jk. I live on a mountain and my driveway is on the north side of the hill. My jk does better with street tires in the snow than my old xj did with snow tires. It would need chains occasionally and the jk never does!

That's nice to have. It wasn't helpful down here on the beach but I can totally understand in the snow on a mountain road

Back