Rubicon 5 speed vs 6 speed

TheTelephoneMan

I am looking to buy a Rubicon. Looking at either a 2004 or 2005. Any thoughts on these years and whether the 5 speed or the 6 speed would be better? Thank you.

Both are good. 05 I'd say. I have the 05 LJ with 6speed with no real complaints. There are issues with all model years.
ODPA is a big one.
DW is another.
Changing almost all fluids from stock is a third.

Avoid the 6spd if you can. It's a problematic design that allows the transmission to accidentally be placed in reverse while moving forward, ruining the transmission. Sure there are plenty of examples without problem, but given the choice between the 2, the 5spd has a better track record.

Thank you for the responses. From the research I have done, I should avoid the newer models after 2006. I hear they changed the motor and generally messed the entire model up. What is your guys opinion?

I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

Here is info on both:

NV3550 - 2000-2004 *
5 speed manual *
Used with 6 cyl models *
10 spline input *
23 spline output *
Ratios:
1st - 4.01
2nd - 2.33
3rd - 1.39
4th - 1.00
5th - 0.78
Rev - 3.57

NSG370 - 2005-2006 *
6 speed manual *
Used with both 4 cyl and 6 cyl models * 10 spline input *
23 spline output *
Ratios:
1st - 4.46
2nd - 2.61
3rd - 1.72 4th - 1.25
5th - 1.00
6th - 0.84
Rev - 4.0

ut * 23 spline output * Ratios: 1st - 4.46 2nd - 2.61 3rd - 1.72 4th - 1.25 5th - 1.00 6th - 0.84 Rev - 4.06

Thank you for the responses. From the research I have done, I should avoid the newer models after 2006. I hear they changed the motor and generally messed the entire model up. What is your guys opinion?

Up through 2006 Wranglers were TJs, and they came with a 4.0l engine (also a 4cyl). In 2007 a new model dubbed the JK came out, and they offered a 3.8. In 2012 they offered a Pentastar 3.6l engine that from what I read is generally considered a better engine.

The 3.6l has 83 more hp, and 23 more ft lbs of torque.

I believe the 2007-2011 JK had a 4 speed auto transmission, while the 2012 got a new 5 speed transmission.

I love my 04 rubi with one big "however" if I were to do it again, I would get the manual. The auto is a pain. I have to turn off the overdrive all time time and still the powerband seems wrong. Other than that, I'm so glad I found it.

Avoid the 6spd if you can. It's a problematic design that allows the transmission to accidentally be placed in reverse while moving forward, ruining the transmission. Sure there are plenty of examples without problem, but given the choice between the 2, the 5spd has a better track record.

Why Do people keep claiming the 6 speed allows you to accidentally go into reverse? IT DOES NOT You have to push past a spring loaded gate to get to the position before you can even pull it into reverse. If you cant handle this, don't drive a stick, its a standard setup on all real truck transmissions. As for as having better records, there is literally no difference in failure rates.

Why Do people keep claiming the 6 speed allows you to accidentally go into reverse?

That was my question also, while I've never driven a 6 speed, I've driven manual transmission vehicles for 40+ yrs and while I've accidentally kissed reverse a few times - I've never accidentally put it into reverse while rolling forward! No sane person would ever force the gear shift into a gear once they heard the gears start to grind.

Ive done things with the six speed that would have torn up the five, like pulling boulders on my nieces horse ranch when building an outdoor arena, ( I have fed two five speeds on a previous TJ to the scrap pile to qualify this) and massive other duties in areas the tractor was too big to get to. So te complaints about it not being as strong are also way out on the fringe, and if you have ever had to change the clutch that it sits behind, you quickly realize how much better built it is due to the amount of steel that is in that "iron maiden" It out weighs the th-400 that was in my 76 Cherokee S

Back