2004 Rubicon Speedo stopped working (not the sending unit)

Lex1131

Sold my 2004 Rubicon, guy drove off and came back saying the speedometer didn't work....never had a problem before. The guy was a used car salesman and our first thought is he unplugged something because he immediately offered 2500 less and said he'd still take it. Sending unit at transfer case is fine, speed gear is fine, wiring looks fine. Found a fuse unplugged but didn't fix it when plugged back in. Get DTC p1692 which tells us nothing because there are no other codes. What could he have done to make it not work or what else are we missing? Thanks!

Welcome to Jeepz.com. Did the speedo stop working during his test drive? That does seem alittle shady.

Anyway, it shouldn't be a big deal to get working again - certainly not a $2500 fix. I would first unplug and re-plug the speedo wires at the transfer case:

transfercase.jpg

I believe your Rubicon has an electronic speed sensor, instead of a traditional gear. It could be that you have a bad (or disconnected) ground wire.

Agree easy to fix. Cheaper than $2500. Private sales are usually as is once the papers signed there is no renegotiating. If you are taking it back now there is an issue with the speedo that wasn't there when you sold it. So you'll have to be fare and reduce the buyback by $2500 ;-D

Your speedometer gear housing on the transfer case is just not rotated to the right position so the speedometer gear can reliably engage the pinion gear underneath. Rotate the housing a bit more.

All of that has been done. Is there a fuse or other sensor he could have easily disconnected that we wouldn't think to check?

Back