Spark Plug Socket

Turbogus

So last week I'm down at NAPA to get a new plug socket, (the old NAPA branded one I had lost the rubber inner sleeve) they no longer had NAPA branded plug sockets but they warrantied this with one by the Carlyle line. I noticed that the rubbet inner boot opening was larger and didn't hold the plug by the ceramic sleeve but by the tip of the spark plug instead. :shades:

923a4eb6-b716-4bc4-9de3-c43d009885db_1000.jpgTightening down the no. 6 & 8 spark plugs on my 360, you know, the two that you have to access from under the CJ's, and I heard the ceramic crunch and sure enough the ceramic was broken. I thought that I may have pulled at the odd angle one has to address those no. 6 & 8 plugs was the reason. Gingerly I tightened down the others on 2 & 4 and moving to the plugs on the left bank no. 7, (that I had a straight, clear of obstruction shot at) also crushed the ceramic on the plug. :x I'm not new to changing spark plugs on my Jeep but this is getting right infuriating, considering that my trusty old NAPA plug socket never once cracked/broke the ceramic on any plug on the various AMC, Ford and Chevy's I've used it on.
Do y'all reckon this is just a bad casting or a design flaw?

Last edited:

Here's a better view of this new one

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1060475.JPG
    P1060475.JPG
    523.5 KB · Views: 53
Looks to be a design flaw to me. That thing that looks to be a metal sleeve welded in there should be something soft.

Yahoo! After stopping by my local trusty shop, Gary's Automotive, Gary loaned me his Craftsman 43323 swivel Spark Plug socket that had the correct insert. I went to three auto parts shops and one hardware and not until I hit the Sears micro store did I find anyone that had even seen one of these. They got me lined up with a straight socket Craftsman pn 50726 and Made in the USA!

here's the differences (crappy Carlyle on left, Craftsman on right)

P1060478.JPGP1060481.JPGP1060482.JPG
note the wall thickness on the Craftsman

Well, used that brand new 'old school' Craftsman $5.08 plug socket and boom, boom, boom. The plugs snugged down without any further issue. Just like my old NAPA one before it lost it's rubber grommet.

you can cut a piece of fuel line to replace that rubber sleeve, if it ever drops out or wears out, again.

i have never seen one that grabs by the top but i think it is a bad idea also

I must be lucky - I seem to have old style spark plug sockets all over my garage. I haven't bought one in decades.

The same goes for me, but for some tune ups on buses and other rigs outside on the gravel pad I had to remove the inner sleeve just for clearance's sake, then subsequently lost the innards...:eek:

I'm a tech and I got the snap on spark plug socket. It doesn't have a rubber innard but a tapered hex which holds the plug inside and no risk of breaking the porcelain.

I'm a tech and I got the snap on spark plug socket. It doesn't have a rubber innard but a tapered hex which holds the plug inside and no risk of breaking the porcelain.

Hate when that happens.

image-missing.png

Back