HEI distributor

Scotts cj7

I was thinking of up grading to HEI distributor. Summit sells one for reasonable price. Would like to hear from those that have done it and how they like it. Thanks.

I went from points ignition to a GM HEI and it is like night and day comparison. starts so much better, no misses, or hesitations anymore. What are you putting it in? You can get HEI's from salvage yards cheap

I have read that the gear on the new distributor is made of harder material than that of the cam gear which can cause the distributor to where the cam gear and that would not be good. I am going to call Summit racing and talk to them and see what they say. Also possibly an engine builder and see what they have to say. I am putting it in the 258 six 1985 cj7

I have read that also and seen pics of the damage done by one. when I got my HEI I took the gear off of my old distributor and put it on the HEI just to be safe, cuz I knew my distributor gear worked fine. I read that "some" of the new gears were harder and others were not, so I just swapped mine to be safe.

Just drive the pin out of the shaft, to pull the gear off. Make sure you install it facing the same way it was

Back