shimmy after highway bumps

Not related to ScubaDude's JK , but I've just about had enough of firestone telling everyone they need new parts . If it's really true that the parts are that far gone they're telling you to replace , then we really should ONLY buying dealer parts for EVERYTHING and not just sensors . I just put a power rack and pinion steering gear into my friends Hyundai Elantra and on his recent visit to Firestone for his lifetime alignment check , he was told to replace the inner tie rods . I know I put them on when I installed the rack. This ONLY dates back maybe six months . Yeah , I've seen parts go in two years or so ( control arms , ball joints etc.) but come on , six months ? He does drive on some rough reload since he books chassis in several rail yards but I also know he needs front struts and no mention of them by Firestone. I'll leave it to you guys how you feel about Firestone. I've replaced so much on this car by their recommendation and I just can't accept this . My friend reports that the car dosen't pull on the highway or any slop in the steering . Just would like anyone's opinion. I can't debate an alignment since they got laser equipment but should I really believe that two inner tie rod are wiped already ?

You put them in. You know how to check them. You might take a look before the crow is prepared for dinner.
It's hard to find a shop that is willing to not throw parts at an issue hoping to fix it. When they align a vehicle they should supply your numbers, ask for them up front so they can't claim to not save them. Be frank if I don't get the printout with numbers I can't pay you for the service. I was burned a few times. Took it back and argued. It's easier to fight the fight up front.

You put them. You know how to check them. You might take a look before the crow is prepared for dinner.

It's hard to find a shop that is willing to not throw parts at an issue hoping to fix it. When they align a vehicle they should supply your numbers, ask for them up front so they can't claim to not save them. Be frank if I don't get the printout with numbers I can't pay you for the service. I was burned a few times. Took it back and argued.
It's easier to fight the fight up front.
I'll respect that and ask him to get the computer read outs . Thinking about it , the parts were from Rockauto of which I've never had problems with compared to pep boys , autozone , advance auto , etc. and will give due the beating the rail yard roads put on this yuppie car but I just can't fathom that worn that soon. Will insist he get the numbers . Still,got my feelings about Firestone . As ScubaDude said , their labor IS high. That's why I do the wrenching , to save my friend from going into debt with his Firestone credit card.

I like them for things that aren't so debatable, like alignments, tire patching etc... if I hadn't felt the shimmy myself I probably wouldn't have replaced the links.

The only question here is could I simply have tightened the crap out of em and would that have solved it. Either way, quick discos were on the long list so I won't complain.

Yeah man, I'm shocked that they wore out so fast. I would question it! You bought that New about a year ago or so , Right?

I like them for things that aren't so debatable, like alignments, tire patching etc... if I hadn't felt the shimmy myself I probably wouldn't have replaced the links. The only question here is could I simply have tightened the crap out of em and would that have solved it. Either way, quick discos were on the long list so I won't complain.

What do mean could you tighten them and would that have solved it??
The original sway bar links have a ball joint like end. This separates enough that when you turn or go over a bump it knocks. On fast turns you will feel the sway. Fast enough and you will flip.

Firestone says it's the sway bar links... I looked at those before I took it in and I could've sworn they were fine, what's more I haven't been offroad in like 2 or 3 months so I don't know what I could've done to break them. I'll be going in tomorrow for them to show me. $290 for a new set of sway bar links that seemingly spontaneously broke kinda sucks. Wish I could upgrade to quick discos but I need a jeep worthy of driving my butt to wichita ks by Friday and I don't think I can track down quick discos in that time. Sure as heck ain't gonna limp to wichita without sway bar links...
I just reread this. Sway bar links have little to do with alignment.

When they break you hear a knock noise over bumps and turns. Not a shimmy at speed. At least not in my experience.

Hmm no shimmy -> patch tire-> shimmy

Lifetime alignment =know history + always find an issue + always buy parts here + know history....

I like math.

Here is a pic of mine after it broke. Jacked up by frame so tired hang.

Picture066-1.jpg

Also your springs should limit the axel droop not the shocks. You could break a shock. Springs should be held in by retainer clips. See pic
tmi4951000-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah the whole thing is super sketchy if you ask me. The links weren't broken per say just really worn out. I replaced the part they said was the issue...

The alignment (though a separate issue) was really off. I hadn't seen numbers like that since I bent my control arm. I'm hoping the shimmy was that or a combination of both. My engine light just came on so I'm going to Jeep tomorrow for a diagnostic in the morning. I'll have them look over my work and get their opinions too. Everything hit the fan just before I needed to get to wichita. Hopefully I can make it by 5 for my sisters graduation...

Yeah the whole thing is super sketchy if you ask me. The links weren't broken per say just really worn out. I replaced the part they said was the issue... The alignment (though a separate issue) was really off. I hadn't seen numbers like that since I bent my control arm. I'm hoping the shimmy was that or a combination of both. My engine light just came on so I'm going to Jeep tomorrow for a diagnostic in the morning. I'll have them look over my work and get their opinions too. Everything hit the fan just before I needed to get to wichita. Hopefully I can make it by 5 for my sisters graduation...
Noooo you could pull the error codes for free. We could point you in the correct direction. They may charge you up to $100 for reading the codes.

To read the codes (without starting the engine) turn the key on then off three times ending in the on position. Look at the odometer for the codes. They will be P0XXX. Followed by done.

Post up the codes.

Tell your Sis congrats!! And have a good time.

Last edited:

Just didn't understand what he was tightening and expecting it to be fixed.

I'm only here to help. We, even I, make mistakes. I sometimes laugh at the typos I make and no one corrects me or calls me out. I go back and fix spelling when I catch them.

Last edited:
Yup, jeep runs like new now, pretty much everything that went wrong can be attributed to the face that I recently passed 100,000 miles. Sway bars worn out, sensor went bad, most my fluids were mucked up. I balanced the tires also.

After the fact my gas mileage jumped up 6 mpg, my ride has never been smoother and my wallet has never been emptier.

Oh well Just Empty Every Pocket :lol:

Back