shimmy after highway bumps

ScubaDude

At highway speeds I get a pretty aggressive wobble for a few hundred feet. I don't think it's death wobble (been there done that) since it happens at whatever speed and only for a few seconds. I would say that it's my shocks but those have less then 6000 miles on them if that...

I checked all my sway bars and springs and did a general look over. This weekend I'll get under it and maybe run it to a garage.

Any ideas as to what may be causing my issue?

Stabilizers don't do much.

Does it happen only at a speed? Or is a bump or turn a cause? Title is one way and the thread says at speed?

Just a shimmy at speed is usually toe alignment.

Check alignment and completed a dry steering test looking for loose, worn items.
There is a nice write up on checking alignment on Stu's site.

Last edited:
It's only happened so far at speed. I'll align it this weekend but it hasn't been that long since I've done that. I dud have it lifted this passed weekend to have some work done on it. Maybe they nudged the alignment?

How high was it lifted? Did they just raise it at the springs and not take into account any of the other points?

I'll align it this weekend but it hasn't been that long since I've done that.

I'm a big fan of Firestone's lifetime alignment. I take it there every year for my state saftey inspection and get a free alignment. They provide nice computer printouts if you ask for them.

I've had lifetime alignment with firestone ever since my first set of shocks :). Limitless alignments for the price of two? I was sold.

I didn't watch them do the work but all they were doing was patching a tire so I was surprised they lifted it at all. My procomp springs don't match my rancho shocks and when all the weight is lifted off the rear axle the springs always pop out (I know I know, I'm stuck on pavement till I get proper springs) when I picked up the jeep the springs were out and we had to relift it to pop them back in. This time they only lifted the rear end and the tires never lost contact with the pavement.

I'm hoping that the alignment is just super out of whack...

I've had lifetime alignment with firestone ever since my first set of shocks :). Limitless alignments for the price of two? I was sold. I didn't watch them do the work but all they were doing was patching a tire so I was surprised they lifted it at all. My procomp springs don't match my rancho shocks and when all the weight is lifted off the rear axle the springs always pop out (I know I know, I'm stuck on pavement till I get proper springs) when I picked up the jeep the springs were out and we had to relift it to pop them back in. This time they only lifted the rear end and the tires never lost contact with the pavement. I'm hoping that the alignment is just super out of whack...

Front or rear tire? What type of tire patch? Did the road balance the tire? This may cause the vibration/oscillation you are feeling.

I'm not sure actually. I need to start watching them more closely I'm to trusting of strangers with my jeep... I'll have the firestone up by my college take a look this weekend.

I'm not sure actually. I need to start watching them more closely I'm to trusting of strangers with my jeep... I'll have the firestone up by my college take a look this weekend.

Yes I've gone to some name brand box stores that claimed they did an alignment, did not supply numbers nor found the two bad TRE's.

don't rule out the shackles or the shim mounting them..

It's only happened so far at speed. I'll align it this weekend but it hasn't been that long since I've done that. I dud have it lifted this passed weekend to have some work done on it. Maybe they nudged the alignment?
When you change ANY suspension with a lift of any kind, you change a lot more than you probably know.

I agree with a post above about having the alignment checked. Your toe is very likely out and that will be your problem. But while they are under there, ask them to check EVERY joint -- steering, and control arms. Ask them to be very critical of the track bar and ball joints.

Don't pay much attention to the "stabilizer" recommendations. In the first place, they are NOT a stabilizer. They are a steering dampener. They only mask a real problem by slowing the shimmying ability. Often, the way to find a steering problem is to REMOVE the dampener. It allows everything to move freely at speed. If you don't have a problem without the dampener, you don't have a problem.

Last edited:

Firestone says it's the sway bar links... I looked at those before I took it in and I could've sworn they were fine, what's more I haven't been offroad in like 2 or 3 months so I don't know what I could've done to break them. I'll be going in tomorrow for them to show me. $290 for a new set of sway bar links that seemingly spontaneously broke kinda sucks. Wish I could upgrade to quick discos but I need a jeep worthy of driving my butt to wichita ks by Friday and I don't think I can track down quick discos in that time. Sure as heck ain't gonna limp to wichita without sway bar links...

Found an offroad parts store that carries disconnects for $99.95. Sounds a whole lot better then $290 for a set of links. I'm planning on doing the install myself this afternoon or in the morning unless one of you speaks up and tells me it's probably not something I can handle :p

Still want to know how I broke em though. Didn't go offroading recently enough...

Found an offroad parts store that carries disconnects for $99.95. Sounds a whole lot better then $290 for a set of links. I'm planning on doing the install myself this afternoon or in the morning unless one of you speaks up and tells me it's probably not something I can handle :p Still want to know how I broke em though. Didn't go offroading recently enough...
you could definitely do it yourself. Quick discos are as good as solid in my opinion.
As for how they broke. They are like ball joints. Wear and tear .

They are in use each turn you take so they don't necessarily fail off roading.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/tmi-753005?seid=srese1&gclid=CPfQmLHHz8kCFQuPHwod_z0B8g

Last edited:

I don't know, ya get what ya pay for. Like purchase tiawan sockets, use once if you are lucky and throw it away cause it strips out and is worthless. I would not go cheap on such an important piece on any machine.

The only reason firestone was so expensive was because of labor. The parts they were putting in weren't gonna be worth much more then I paid in the end. The old links were put in with a impact so it took some time to get them off. New disconnects look good but I'll update you guys in a couple hundred miles.

Not related to ScubaDude's JK , but I've just about had enough of firestone telling everyone they need new parts . If it's really true that the parts are that far gone they're telling you to replace , then we really should ONLY buying dealer parts for EVERYTHING and not just sensors . I just put a power rack and pinion steering gear into my friends Hyundai Elantra and on his recent visit to Firestone for his lifetime alignment check , he was told to replace the inner tie rods . I know I put them on when I installed the rack. This ONLY dates back maybe six months . Yeah , I've seen parts go in two years or so ( control arms , ball joints etc.) but come on , six months ? He does drive on some rough railyard roads since he books chassis's in several rail yards but I also know he needs front struts and no mention of them by Firestone. I'll leave it to you guys how you feel about Firestone. I've replaced so much on this car by their recommendation and I just can't accept this . My friend reports that the car dosen't pull on the highway or any slop in the steering . Just would like anyone's opinion. I can't debate an alignment since they got laser equipment but should I really believe that two inner tie rod are wiped already ?

Last edited:
Back