T4 YJ transmission on a cj?

CJDan

I, just wondering if a transmission will bolt into the mounting plate as long as I change the bracket to a cj bracket? Is this possible? The T4 came off a 95 YJ(I believe, that's what it is marked in my book when I took it out of the YJ) so I am assuming I didn't screw up there.

I am just hoping the transmission will bolt up to the mounting plate as well as the transfer case. I have the transmission/transfer case combo for that 95 YJ, hoping it will bolt up to my 258, haven't tried yet, but if it works it will be a $$$ saver!

Any info helps!

I don't believe the "95 YJs came with a T4 from the factory. The "95 4cyl would have an AX5 & the 6 cyl would have an AX15.
What xfer case is bolted to it. The T4s that came in the early "80s CJs were mated to the Dana300 xfer cases. The "80s T4s came on CJs with 4 cyl or 6cyl engines.

I don't believe the "95 YJs came with a T4 from the factory. The "95 4cyl would have an AX5 & the 6 cyl would have an AX15. What xfer case is bolted to it. The T4s that came in the early "80s CJs were mated to the Dana300 xfer cases. The "80s T4s came on CJs with 4 cyl or 6cyl engines.

You are right it is the AX15

The AX15 will fit behind your 258 but you will have to convert to hydraulic clutch. Your D300 will also bolt right up with no problem.

The AX15 will fit behind your 258 but you will have to convert to hydraulic clutch. Your D300 will also bolt right up with no problem.
good to hear!

I do just have one problem, the motor mounts for the YJ engine are bolted up differently than the cj mounts. The pattern is reversed. Would I fabricate the frame to fit YJ mounts? Or should I not even bother and buy a new engine. Not trying to do that, trying to cut costs.

you can buy motor mounts or fabricate your own if you can weld. can you swap the mounts (drivers mount on passenger side upside down, and vise versa)?

Back