Need Transmission help - 85 CJ7 350 Chevy with a t176 transmission

neuberjeep781

I am having same issues. Just came out of transmission shop for 3rd time. 85 cj7 350 Chevy, t176 transmission. Seeing forums about clutch adjustments

Re: Transmission problem.....Help Help!

First, if you haven't done so get under the jeep and see if your shift linkage is bound up, sloppy connection points. If that checks out ok, I would take the front carpet out if you have any and unbolt the transmission tunnel, unbolt the top of the transmission and lift the top cover off and look inside. As you pull the top cover off of the trans, there will be two forks that will come with it, as you lift look at where those forks are coming from (shifter hubs) and see if you can slide those forward or backward using two fingers on each side of the shifters. When you shift gears while driving, the forks that came off with the top cover of the trans move those shifter hubs (I hope that's the correct name) forward or back into each gear. If you can move them, the problem is probably not internal and would look at linkage or clutch adjustment. Assuming your clutch disk is fine. When you put the trans cover back on, the forks just slide back into the slots of the shift hubs.

Last edited:
Re: Transmission problem.....Help Help!

Is this a 4cyl 81 jeep?? If so, then you should have a hydraulic clutch and may have lost your slave cyl.

The weakest part of the T176 is the shifter/cover. When people try to power shift them, They lock up. If this is the case, You need to find a good cover that isn't worn. I don't know of any rebuild kits to remedy this. Try going slow between2nd and 3rd gears when shifting.

Back