Rear driver's side wheel tilts inward???

jleland

I just swapped out wheels on my 91 Yj and noticed that the rear driver's side wheel looks to be leaning inward a bit at the top. Also, while driving, the ride seems really rough until I accelerate.

Could it be bearings??
Thanks

It could be a number of things.
Bearings
Bent axel tube
Did you seat and tighten lug nuts in order and in small amounts?

I had a tire shop do the wheel swap. I know that they stripped a lug on the front, but I'm guessing bearings since it just all of a sudden happened and I haven't had it offroad in quite some time or hit anything

When you drive down the street, does the tire appear to wobble, or does it stay with the top slanted in?

I'd start by jacking the wheel up, grasping at 12 and 6 o'clock, and trying to wiggle the tire. If it doesn't wiggle then I'd take the tire off and remount it. Put one lug nut in, finger tighten it, then put the one in directly across from it, continuing in a star pattern. Then tighten them a few turns in a star pattern until they are all tight.

If you throw the rim on your Jeep, then hit the first lug all the way down with an impact gun then you could get this.

If a tire shop stripped a lug I would guess they torque them too much. What terry describes could bend a rim.

A place did this to my wife's car once. We had to torch and drill the stud out to save the rim. It cost me $40. Well not really cause I went back to the same shop and presented them with the bill.

That's what I was wondering because of the rough riding. It's really rough at a constant speed but fine while accelerating

That's what I was wondering because of the rough riding. It's really rough at a constant speed but fine while accelerating

To check for a wheel bearing Jack the jeep up so the tire is not on the ground. Secure it so the jeep will not roll. Grab the tire at 3 &9 and try to push and pull shaking from 3 to 9 o' clock. If it moves it's a wheel bearing.

Back