HELP - How much manual transmission fluid do I need?

David L. Ribeca

Hi All,
Will someone please tell me how much manual transmission fluid (Royal Purple Synchromax, etc.) I need for my 2001 Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5 speed manual transmission -TJ? I'm getting conflicting numbers. From 2.1 to 6 quarts. PLEASE HELP....

Dave R.

Last edited:

Hi All, Will someone please tell me how much manual transmission fluid (Royal Purple Synchromax, etc.) I need for my 2001 Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5 speed manual transmission -TJ? I'm getting conflicting numbers. From 2.1 to 6 quarts. PLEASE HELP.... Dave R.

2.4qts

Thanks, JPNinPA.... 2.4 quarts is all? Is that carved in stone? I have to purchase the royal Purple Maual trans fluid online and I don't want to under buy. Do you think we should wait for others to weigh in? Let me know and thanks again for taking the time to answer my question.

Dave R.

You've got a NV3550 transmission right? From what's I've read, the fluid you're looking for is called "schromesh" or the royal purples version, "schromax". Here's what my 2000-2003 manual says:

2001-wrangler-fluid-capacities.PNG

You've got a NV3550 transmission right? From what's I've read, the fluid you're looking for is called "schromesh" or the royal purples version, "schromax". Here's what my 2000-2003 manual says:

View attachment 21509

Thanks, Terry, and JPNinPA, and to all who helped... The verdict is in - I have a 2001, 5 speed manual, 4.0L Wrangler TJ which has a NV3550 manual transmission (years 2000-2004)..... It took just a tad bit over two quarts.... Thanks, again. BTW - 2001 seems to be a weird year for jeep transmissions.

Dave R.

Last edited:

I tend to agree with dragon5126. The trans should have a drain plug on the bottom and a fill plug about half way up on the side of the trans. You fill it until oil reaches the fill plug and just starts to come out. Unless the newer trans are sealed units with no fill plugs.

That is true. He wanted to know how much to buy. Initially he was told anywhere from 2-6 quarts.

I tend to agree with dragon5126. The trans should have a drain plug on the bottom and a fill plug about half way up on the side of the trans. You fill it until oil reaches the fill plug and just starts to come out. Unless the newer trans are sealed units with no fill plugs.

69jeepcj.... My 2001, 4.0L, NV3550, 5 speed Trans, Jeep TJ does have a drain plug on the bottom and a fill plug about half way up on the side of the trans. It needs a 5/8" male socket to open/ seal each plug....

Dave R.

Actually it sounds like a joke and was said in a humorous vein, it is the truth, all the listed capacities are just approximates and you really do need to fill to the maximum capacity possible, not just for lubrication but for cooling of all the bronze bushings, which even with lubrication, are easily destroyed by heat through warpage along with wear. With insufficient fluid the bronze may be lubricated, but the built up heat isn't carried away sufficiently, and when the transmission stops rotating such as when the vehicle is shut off after being run until the transmission gets hot, the heat sits in the bronze bushings, and they expand most in the direction with the least amount of pressure on them. When the transmission has minimal wear on it this is inconsequential. But as miles increase so does wear, increasing slop, allowing for more expansion in undesirable ways adding to more wear, which keeps compounding, so its extremely important to keep the maximum amount of fluid in a manual transmission as possible. and this doesn't even count the problems that happen with worn syncros...

Back