What is the best Wrangler model to buy used?

Limss325

I'm looking into buying a Jeep Wrangler used, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me whats the best model or year I should buy. Also I wanted to know if high mileage is bad on Wranglers. I'm looking to spend under $10,000.
It's gonna be my second car for weekend.

My current car is a Toyota Prius.

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to the Forum.

You'll get a lot of different answers because this question is a lot like Ford v. Chevy, auto v. manual, etc. I'll try stay unbiased and give you some info to work with.

1988-1995 is the YJ, look for '91+ 6cyl to get the reliable fuel injection. Make sure a manual transmission shifts smooth. Leaf spring suspension is a little rougher riding than later coil spring models. Interior more utilitarian.

1997-2006 is the TJ. Again, the 6cyl is a preferred model over the 4cyl. Don't discount a 4cyl model if it suits your needs, they're reliable. Coil spring suspension rides better than earlier models, interior a bit more car-like. Again, make sure a manual transmission shifts smoothly.

2004-2006 you could get a TJ Unlimited with is longer than a TJ. More rear seat legroom and more cargo area behind the rear seat.

2007+ is the JK and likely over $10,000 still. Wider body, more interior room, coil suspension, weak mini-van motor until 2012.

Last edited:
Where I live there are a ton of Wranglers. Having said that, you're hard pressed to find a 2000 and up TJ for under 10k. Most people have a 2004 TJ with 150k miles and want $12000 for it.

Buy the newest one you can afford, look under it to verify it has not been beaten on, amongst other things, of course. Then, get rid of the Prius, and buy another Jeep. Also look into, and invest in blue ribbon coalition. com they are fighting the battle everyday to keep our trails open. Also look at Treadlightly!.com and learn trail etiquette.

I prefer the 2003 -2006 Tj.

Ps unlimited Tj was 2004-2006.

Every year has its issues but the 03-06 has the strongest exhaust manifold. And seems to run the smoothest.
Special issues I'd the OPDA oil pump drive assembly.

the newest that is not torn up, and if you can find one that has no lift or any mods, that is the best one. miles, never really bothered me but some people get hung up on that, thats up to you. but, i would look for an automatic and a hardtop. hardtop is too expensive to pick up afterwards but worth more then anything on the jeep if you live anywhere other people live. i have never had a thing stolen or windows cut with a hardtop

I'd look for a used Rubicon. The Rubicon gives you capabilities that would cost thousands to add to a X or Sport or even a Sahara model. IMO, the Rubicon would be worth $2500 to $3000 more than an otherwise comparable X or Sport, may $2000 more than a Sahara.

and i would, personally, stay away from the 07 to current models. i was not impressed by the new body style wrangler we had recently. the older ones were a lot better.

Personally I like my JK but the main reason I bought it was to go up/down my mountain driveway in bad weather. It does better than any other 4x4 I've owned. I believe traction control is a big factor in that. The wider body works well for us but we don't go off roading and agree that the older narrower body styles would be better on the trails.

Pay no attention to superj, obviously he doesn't know what he's talking about ! I would say by the type of questions you are asking, your probably not a grade A mechanic, and that's okay. It's just according to superj, you should get a Jeep that is so old, it'll probably need everything replaced. The biggest problem is you can't replace the square headlights ! lol

nah, he can go with an 06. thats a really nice tj. those new jeeps, yuck. i won't have another unless they go diesel

Hey Limss35, I too am a Prius owner also but I own a jeep too. Mine is an '89 YJ Wrangler with a 350 and a 700R4. If I had to do it all over again. I would go with a TJ for the better suspension and disk brakes. I plan on upgradeing my suspension to a coil and disks at some point after I replace my motor. I only paid 3000 for mine but didn't know it had a time bomb in it (motor died after I put in the transmission and made it 4 X 4 again). Knowing what I do now I would take my time and learn all about Jeeps and watch and learn the prices and find a good mechanic that will do a good check for you on the car. Be PATIENT and look for a Rubicon if possible (it may not be possible, but you can wish). I would look for one between 2000 and 2006. People like to inflate their prices especially dealers but don't be afraid to look a little farther away from where you live and enjoy the life. Look for friends and maybe a club that are into Jeeps so you can go with others and learn all the best places to go. I hope to go out west and do some runs one day with some of the places that you are always reading about. For a Novice I would say get a TJ, make sure its frame is good even if you have to go to an alignment shop and have them look at it. Make sure it has good wiring, people like to splice things which causes problems down the line. If you need a wiring harness go to Painless Performance. If you do upgrades go to someone who is reputable and knows Jeeps inside and out. Get things in writing and be very specific, it is a contract. Then go have fun and live the life.

The main issue for Limss325; that we may be forgetting (or not reading at all is....) is his stipulation of $10,000 or less. So if you ask me that will leave out all JKs (except those lucky deals I never find). I own a YJ but I paid far less than $10K, but for me I kind of wish I would have known about what I would like better which is the suspension and plus the electronics with the Fuel injection is nice. Helps with mileage and does run better as long as the sensors and brain are in good shape. Yes this is my opinion. I am keeping my YJ though and will work on it. Once I put in the new GM 383ci motor, I will be stretching the frame and putting in a couple of Dana 44s front and rear, but I will stick with the Leafs and drum brakes for now. For me it is just a toy to have fun off road any and all traveling will be done in my Prius. Can't beat my 55 to 60 MPG for going places. PLEASE lets remember that this is mostly opinions and lets enjoy the fun of our Jeeps regardless the specifics and mods. Save the bickering about all the specifics for the night around the camp fire with a drink and friends. May we all have SMILIN' DREAMS!!!!

Guys, YJs have discs up front just like TJ do. Same front axle and rear axle, minus leaf springs versus coil springs. And if you get a 91-95 wrangler, you also get fuel injection, same as a tj.

The only real difference between a tj and a yj is the tj has coil spring suspension and a cherokee interior set up. Yj has leaf spring set up and a more cj like interior.

I'll try not to joke around and tell you to buy a renegade if you really drive a prius... because well... prius...
Mileage on any 4x4 is relative. If its high mileage and hasn't been beaten up by not having been off road the price will be higher than one that has been used off road. When its in 4wd there is a lot more wear and tear on the driveline, suspension and more. Do not look at one alone and make sure the person you take along with you knows mechanics. Know the difference between a mall crawler and a practical offroad vehicle. Just because its jacked up and has big tires and shiney rims doesn't make it usable off road OR on the highway. was the gearing done to match the tire size? Ive seen people get screwed buying used mall crawlers because of what the original owner did to them that heeded to be undone and redone properly. They could have saved money buying factory level used rig to start with because what was done wrong induced all kinds of issues.

I just purchased a dark blue 2001, TJ, 4.0L, 2 door (full doors) Wrangler Sport, 5 speed, soft top with 130,000 miles (vast majority were towed miles behind a large RV), for $8,000.00.... I love this vehicle. I replaced replaceable fluids with Royal Purple and got some great new on/ off road tires. I'm looking at getting a hardtop for it next.... Good luck in your quest. You'll know what you want when you see and touch it.

Dave R.

Attachments

• DSCF2094.JPG
    DSCF2094.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 5,530
Last edited:
Back