ESC Light

kslatton

The ESC light on my '12 JKU has been flashing on and off at random times over the last few days. I just upgraded tires to 285/70R17's. I'm running stock height and suspension. Not sure if I need to recalibrate for the new rubber or get a alignment. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sorry no one responded immediately.
It can be the new tire size is causing some issue. But to be sure read the codes and post them up. You could turn the key from off to on three times without starting the vehicle and the class should pop up on the odometer.

Thanks. I added spacers yesterday and I haven't had any more issues. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.

Thanks. I added spacers yesterday and I haven't had any more issues. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.

You should still pull the codes if there are any. If there are no codes then we can chalk it up to some bad gas - its unlikely that the spacers did anything to help the problem.

-----------------------------
edit
Well, I just did some research and I may have been wrong. It looks like changing the tire size can cause the ESC light to come on.

Vehicles modified with larger tires and/or suspension lifts may experience early Electronic Stability Program (ESP) activations as compared to a non-modified production vehicle depending on lift size/height, tire size, suspension changes and/or driving habits.

Most suggestions I see are along the lines of "disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, then you'll be good to go". So if the ESC light is off then you're probably fine.

Last edited:
Back