Is this CJ5 a good deal?

Seems high to me, I'd pay maybe half that.

The low first gear benefits a person most when offroad, allows for slower driving for more control and less bouncing. On-road it will help keep from stalling when taking off from a dead-stop, but it might be too low for normal use, requiring starting off in 2nd gear.

there are 4 stages of the jeep cj. The flat fender years (don't know exact years), early years (don't know the start but ends in 71), intermediate years (72-75) , and late years (76-86). This is a early jeep and they tend to bring more money than the later years. I personally think the later years are better just because of the improved axles, even tho the AMC20 has weaknesses. The 69 you are looking at should have a 10 spline dana27 front axle, highly possible with a power lock which is a HUGE plus. The rear should be a off set 19 spline dana 44 axle, again highly possible with power lock, decent axles but not the greatest in strength. The prices seems in the ball park for the condition, maybe a tad high. I can tell you now, you will have issues with frame flex off road and will have problems with clutch engagement off road, and clutch cable issues. Advanced adapters sell and clutch chain replacement kit for the cable, said to be a good fix, I just converted mine to a hydraulic clutch.. if its everything the add claims, id check it out. look for cracks in the frame around the spring hangers and steering gear box.

With that particular 4spd, drive like a 3spd without a first gear on the street (2nd,3rd,4th), you will never need the 1st gear on the street unless you are on a very steep hill or pulling a load to take off. That trans is not a synchronized transmission, meaning it will grind going into first and reverse if not completely stoped and engine rpms down. Awsome and highly desired off road trans!! first gear is useless on the street.

Back