Wind shield wiper arms

Scotts cj7

Why do the wiper arms inside my windshield frame keep braking. They are brand new so is the windshield frame. I have been welding the ends as they break one by one . Now I have welded all of the ends on the rods. Could this be happening because the windshield is after market and there is some sort of geometry problem. I'm confused. Scott. Thanks for any info on this and has anyone had to deal with this.

Why do the wiper arms inside my windshield frame keep braking. They are brand new so is the windshield frame. I have been welding the ends as they break one by one . Now I have welded all of the ends on the rods. Could this be happening because the windshield is after market and there is some sort of geometry problem. I'm confused. Scott. Thanks for any info on this and has anyone had to deal with this.
gotta pic of the windshield and the arms sweeping to the 12 o'clock position.

Maybe I was looking to help.

Do you mean the internal linkages?
Wiper arms to me are outside and you attach the blade to them.

If so there are two. One ~10in and one ~25 in. With the large difference you can't mix them but you need to clock the linkage with the motor position.

Is the problem that the wiper arm are aftermarket and poor quality?

The outside wiper arms on a 1985 cj7 are the same length. The wiper motor rotates in a continuous circle. The problem I am having is with the rods on the inside of the windshield. It is a replacement unit. Sorry JPNinPA I did not understand what you meant. So far that I have welded all ends it is holding but who knows for how long. Thank you for the response.

I am afraid you are going to have to live with it. This has been a on going problem for a long time with aftermarket frames and rods. Don't know if its the rods or the frames or both.. I have bought two frames using factory rods and had issues, and one set of rods using factory frame and had the same issue on different jeeps. You can try putting a piece of foam inside the windshield frame where the rods are so when the wiper sweeps over to that side it hits the foam and prevents it from going too far, yet the foam gives so it can go far enough without breaking or binding. I have had luck with this but you have to change the foam now and then as it gets compressed over time. I have this set up currently in my windshield frame, don't like it as the wipers bind now and then but it works. Don't know what the solution is.

Thank you very much 69jeepcj. I can see what you are talking about buy using the foam block. Being in the auto body restoration business I have different type of materials that I can try. Thanks again Scott.

Back