New weber carb in a 258 issue

I not going to get into a argument over vac advance, and from your last explanation, I think you are the one that don't have a grasp of vac advance and how it works. your engine timing is never locked unless "you" lock it or your at total timing at wide open throttle, the timing is always fluctuating. My point to the Op was to check his vac advance for proper function. oh and by the way, Im no young kid!!

I not going to get into a argument over vac advance, and from your last explanation, I think you are the one that don't have a grasp of vac advance and how it works. your engine timing is never locked unless "you" lock it or your at total timing at wide open throttle, the timing is always fluctuating. My point to the Op was to check his vac advance for proper function. oh and by the way, Im no young kid!!
If you think your timing is constantly fluctuating you are clueless and need to go take an adult education class on auto mechanics. Once your engine hits 2 grand your timing is at full retard and stays there. The throw out weights lock it there, and the vacuum advance only operates at speeds below that. It is you that doesn't understand that timing is advanced only at low speed and retarded at high to prevent detonation, and blowing the heads off the block/

Dragon, your vac advance is affected my load not rpm, the dist weight are affected by rpm, so at 2 grand in you example are you wide open throttle or cruising? cruising, yes it would be fully advance but would retard as vac is lost, if you are wide open throttle then there would be no vac advance and at 2 grand the dist weights would not be fully advanced yet unless you have very light springs In there and it would probably detonate its head off. You keep calling vac advance a retard system, it is as the name implies a "advance" can which advances you timing. I know what you are talking about by calling it such, but that is probably very confusing to others learning. Hooked to straight manifold vac the can is fully advanced at idle so it has no other choice but to retard based on load not rpm. Put a timing light on your engine and slowly rev it up and down and watch your timing change all over the place, then come tell me its fixed and doesn't change, you were just messing with me on that right!!. My apologies to the OP for turning this into a vac advance thread, I hope you found the issues on your jeep. we can discuss vac advance in a separate thread if you like.

Last edited:
Vac advance articles in the General chat section. They are by a retired GM engineer that helped design this system.

ummm no, vac advance isn't affected by load it is by rpm you are neglecting the fact that the advance is changed by the throwout weights once it comes up off idle speeds You only get advance on extremely low rpm such as idle once you hit the 2 grand region the weights most definitely are all the way out. An the vac advance IS a retard system. you have full vacuum at idle bringing the timing into full advance however as your engine speed increases, due to the throttle opening vacuum drops and this causes the timing to retard, However, this is where the throw out weights take over, turning the rotor allowing the timing to advance or retard as the throttle position changes therefore varying the engine vacuum. You are trying to say that it is the load that is making these changes, This is a complete misnomer, it is the vacuum based off throttle position. As you know a wide open throttle yields zero vacuum, a closed (for the sake of discussion since the throttle is never really closed fully) throttle yields the highest vac. Since there is the least amount of air/fuel being taken in when the throttle is closed the ignition timing needs to be advanced as far as possible (to TDC ) to ensure the engine stays running smoothly. The choke held the throttle open enough to supply more fuel to enable the engine to start at the retarded point due to lack of vacuum and no mechanical advance due to low speed rotation of the distributor. The faster the engine turns the more the rotor is adjusted by the throw out weights due to centrifugal force of the distributor. Again this is solely the action of RPM not load, and that is the result of throttle position (which adds or removes vacuum from the distributor as well). Again this removes the load from the equation and puts it back on the engine RPM the timing changing all over when you rev your engine is the result of what is called propagation delay. Slow that speed change down and reconnect the vac line to the distributor ad you will be able to actually chart out the advance curve of the distributor. That's why they make timing lights that allow you to advance or retard the trigger point of the light, so that you can follow the actual curve.
You need to keep in mind that the vac advance is in full advance at idle and retards as the engine speed increases due to the opening throttle which causes loss of vacuum, this is where the weights take over, and their function is solely based on the RPM of the engine, as the faster the distributor spins the faster and farther the weights turn the rotor to the next pole in the cap. Load has no bearing other than your need to use more or less throttle.

Wrong, and ive posted proof of it in the chat section. you be the one to tell the gm engineer he is wrong in "his" desing. John kinckly is his name.

I'll tell you what, when you find that the vac advance distributor was patented by Ford, you can come back, get on your knees and beg me to accept your apology...

I suggest you read this to see how far back ford was using Vac advance Distributors and tell me again how this GM guy who is retired designed them... He would be long dead...

http://www.flatheadv8.org/rumblest/ignition.pdf

Last edited:
I know all about fords spark omatic distributer, my brother has one on his 56 ford customline. totally different! That is a vac operated dist, not a vac advance.

Last edited:

You are ridiculous. Your Have to be right at the expense of the truth attitude is the sign of many things, none of which are knowledge. Your commentary about the vacuum operated distributor is NOT accurate, Below is a depiction of your vac operated Distributor which obviously is NOT what is shown in fords flat head ignition.

vac_operated_dist.jpg

Its time for the admin to lock this thread before more nonsense is posted by those without first hand knowledge and experience on this matter

That does appear to be some type of advance system, but is not what the man above designed in the 60,s/70,s that "I" was referring to nor the type the "OP" has on his jeep. I didn't look further into what you posted but does seem to have separate vac advance and centrifugal advance,. I believe the ford spark-o-matic does not, just a centrifugal controlled by vac. DONE WITH THIS,. Did you bother looking at the vac advance thread I posted in the "chat" section.

You have been talking bullcrap all along. The fact is Ford owned the patent for the standard Vac advance distributor, and licensed it to all the other manufacturers (this was the start of the Motorcraft line) GM did NO development on it and if they did the engineers that would have worked on it would be in their Hundreds and not likely posting on the web due to physical inability to type due to advanced age. Add to that every time it was pointed out that you were wrong and proof was supplied you did a convenient bait and switch just as you did with the "vacuum operated" ford distributor which I supplied the diagrams for in my last post. And now you are off on the denial of that on another topic switch. and now you are covering your butt with "You believe". and are back paddling all the way. The fact is you don't knw what you are talking about, and don't have the hands on experience you proclaim, and are leading people down the wrong fork to a dead end. And THAT is my biggest issue with people like you. Hell You couldn't even close your own post after "done with this" That alone tells me all I need to know about your character. I certainly hope that this stays up long enough for the current members to read and then the whole thing is deleted. because the manure sure wont grow any new members.

You have posted a distributor that is nothing like what we are discussing. I just did some researching and the first vacuum and centrifugal advance system developed was in 1931 by Chrysler. Even that is a different design that the later type. You try your hardest to try and prove someone wrong over nothing. when you find a better article that explains vacuum advance better than the one I posted in general chat, let me know because I would love to see it. I don't no you, don't no who taught you, but you have things all confused. I seriously suggest you look at the article. Ill stick with written and proven facts, not someones opinion.

Back