CJ7 Catalytic Converter

bjscj7

I need to replace muffler and tailpipe. Cat is not looking too good either. I have an 82 CJ7 and am exempt from emissions at yearly state inspection. I'm thinking running straight from front exhaust to new muffler to tailpipe. Question is in anyone's experience, is anything gained/lossed in performance or sound? I'm not looking to be louder.
Stock 82 CJ7 w/258 inline 6. Any input appreciated...thanks guys

legally, you have to have a catalytic converter.

my jeep I6s never gained anything from not running a cat. the new free flowing cats work so well there is no point to not putting one

New vehicles you loose by removing the cat or O2 sensor issues.

Older idk. The biggest gains come from more displacement. Better fuel atomization.

Other than that you only gain back what you loose. Cat back larger exhaust only improves if you have a turbo or supercharger.

Removing drag on the engine like clutch fan to electric. Remove A/C pump if you have one.

More carburetor had with tuning a carb and timing.

When I removed the cat, and went straight from the manifold to the muffler, my 83 CJ7 was much louder ... I added a glass pack, and it became comfortably quiet. Jeep 6-15 02.JPG

Well, you might experience some backfiring issues since the unspent fuel will be detonating in your exhaust instead of burning in the cats. I am having that issue currently but am in the process of deleting the smog entirely.

once I got everything out (sawzall=the miracle tool) the cat was actually pretty solid so I ended up reinstalling it. The old girl is running great. I love seeing built up jeeps appreciate the sound of a good exhaust but as any replacement needs pop up with my '82 I try staying with stock items. It's my way of preserving my little piece of Americana!

Back