Using 2wd with hubs locked

Mtpockets

I had an '85 Toyota with manual hubs and a 4cyl 22R years ago. Many times when pulling my boat out of the water on some steeper boat ramps I would shift into 4L without locking hubs. I now own a CJ7 with a 258, AMC20, T176, Dana 300TC and Dana 30 front axle with warn premium manual hubs. I know I will be tempted to use the lower gear ratio of 4L for the same purposes mentioned above. I can't see where it will hurt a thing, but on the other hand I don't have a lot of knowledge on differentials. I know lots of you guys know differentials inside and out. I would like a detailed explanation of why it's alright or why it's not to use 4WD with hubs unlocked.

Sorry folks my title is opposite my post. Please provide answers to the post. The title should have read "Using 4WD with hubs unlocked".

Last edited:
I had a 78 Chevy that if would dobtge opposite in would lock the hubs but leave it in 2wd never did any damage but saved me when thinking I could make it threw a kid hole in 2 wd and getting stuck and not having to dig the hubs out to lock it in. I do not know if it is recommended .

Yes you can drive with the hubs locked. you will use slightly more gas and probably feel a vibration at higher speeds. My dad bought a new 82 cj7 and i recall the manual saying to drive it in 4wd once a month for about a mile or drive with the hubs locked in to keep all parts lubed and moving.

Your amc20 probably isn't the best axle for hauling and pulling a boat out of the water. I recommend looking into one piece axle shafts for it. The amc20 axle is a two piece design and a big nut holds the hub on, if you look at the end of your axle you should see a big nut. One piece is MUCH stronger.

You can use 4lo with the front hubs unlocked without a problem, but, like mentioned above, you'll be sending a lot of torque to the 2-piece rear axle shafts. This could cause you to spin a hub or break a ring and pinion in a high traction situation. Use it, just keep those limitations in mind.

Thanks guys for confirming what I thought and I will keep in mind that the two piece axles are the weak point on the amc20. I will eventually get around to installing Yukon one piece axles.

Back