Need help!!

Derek J Laclair

Hey guys I have a 99 tj 4.0 I am having a huge issue with finding the correct firing order for the jeep. I keep trying to look up a diagram but it either has the screws in the wrong place for the distributor cap or the order is totally different than my jeep. The jeep starts but it feels like the jeep is dragging. If I am in third and let go of the gas it sounds like it's winding down as if I was in second doing 40...any one with a good diagram?? I need pictures...prior marine here 😁. Thank you for any help!

the screws are in the wrong place? your jeep doesn;t have a distributor?

It has a distributor but if your looking at it from the front of the jeep the closest screw is at the 5 o'clock and the other at the 10 o'clock I wish I could send a picture

Respecting your need for a proper diagram . Although a diagram SHOULD show the correct placement of ignition wires starting from #1 and so forth in the correct rotation , I've seen inconsistencies for whatever reason and can't always rely on one . My suggestion is to confirm #1 cylinder TDC compression stroke timing mark zero degrees and set the number one spark plug wire where the rotor lands and start the firing order from there . As you know , dwell isn't ere possible on these distributors . They are fixed and there fore cannot be adjusted . The PCM ere handles all advance/retard spark timing. Don't pull the distributor if there is no need , you'll just complicate things for yourself. Mark the rotor alignment on the distributor housing so when the cap is on you'll know where the rotor faces . Just be certain of the distributor rotation so the ignition wires are placed correctly . I know this is elementary and I'm sure your skills are beyond this remedial explanation but folks outside the forum read as they research and we owe all who come here proper information . If I left out anything , all are free to comment .

hope this helps

tj-firing-order.PNG

Back