Roll bar

Northsimon

Hello people,

I'm new to this forum and have a question, i bought an 1977 cj7 and love it even if it needs TLC 🤓.
I won't use it in the winter because i want to fix it and keep it for a long time, cold winters and lot of snowmelt salt around here (Montréal,Québec)

Problem is that i need to remove the roll bar because it won't fit throught the garage door. I would like to find a solution so i could put it in the garage even in the summer to keep the unwanted out of my Jeep. Anyone ever had somethimg like that resolved? I was thinking of cutting the pipe right over the Y and welded a sleeve on the bottom part and somekind of quick release on the top part.

It roll on 33" plus a 3" inch lift and want to keep it that way😀

Thanks for reading and keep on Jeeping!

Ps: i also bought a 1981 cj7 for parts (really rusty) and had the surprised of a nice 350 4bbl under the hood) should i swap or keep my 258?

Depending on how much room you need to clear the door just air down the tires. Personally i wouldnt start cutting on the tool bar have seen them save few people from hitting there heads in the ground and wouldn't want to compromise it.

Well i need about 3", i'm trying to find a way for an easy remove/install of the top part of the roll bar and keeping it safe.

Thanks for the answer.

I agree with xt master, the roll bar is designed to protect the occupants in the event of a roll over. I would not alter it in any way. Mine has torx head bolts that hold it in the tub. Find some good penetrating oil and spray them down from top and bottom let sit overnight. Purchase a good set of torx wrenches to remove the bolts.

If you need 3" you'll be into the windshield frame as well. The stock cj roll bar is not much higher than the windshield frame. You could always have your garage door header raised.

image-186602338.jpg

Measure twice, cut once.....hihi

Correct a post but didn't see the result and too impatient i guest, so repost it...lesson 54327 learned

Not sure if it's enough room but could you let enough air out the 33's to get in and out and then just refill the tires. It takes a little bit of time but better than removing the roll bar or making it weak.

Not sure that deflating the tires would be enought and lifting the garage is not and option because its under an attached two story high building, but thanks for the answers.

If deflating the tires won't work maybe having an extra set of small tires/rims will do the trick. Not something you'd want to do on a regular basis but if your bringing the jeep inside for an extended period of time .........

you want to park it in the garage each night to keep animals and stuff out? you might have to go to smaller tires, or just run with no roll bar. I do not promote the running with no roll bar though, even if it does look cool in the pic you posted

Mostly the two legged animals. Lol. Just want to keep my toy nice and secure. One of my customer has a machine shop, i'm sure we can come up with something that will be safe. In my mind it's easy, cut the roll cage over the Y, weld a sleeve inside, slide it in the lower part (the one that's stays on the jeep) then somekind of quick disconnect pins to make the remove/install fast and easy. Maybe the sleeve could be solid or hollow like the actual roll cage.

Sorry if you see ortograph mistake, french Canuck here.

I would think the same if you really want it to be removable. Cut the roll bar off..I would still 4 holes in the piece stating on the Jeep and spot weld a pipe that the removable bar could slide over. Then also weld a second pipe over the roll bar the key is to find some kind of disconnect that would be strong enough to take an accident and not break.

Back