Trac bar mount mess, need advice

viclava

This is what I found when I took off my trac bar to see why it was moving 1/4" according to Les Schwaub. How am I suppose to repair this? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Attachments

• IMG_0577(1).JPG
    IMG_0577(1).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 25

Weld a large washer on.

Last edited:
I think welding a washer / plate is probably the way to go. You could buy an adjustable track bar, and try drilling a new hole in a different section of the metal, but that wouldn't be as good as what JPNinPA suggested.

I think welding a washer / plate is probably the way to go. You could buy an adjustable track bar, and try drilling a new hole in a different section of the metal, but that wouldn't be as good as what JPNinPA suggested.
iPhone app on iOS 10. No spaces.

I haven't forgotten about you JPNinPA - I hired a guy to make another app - hopefully I'll get something made soon.

Maybe drill out the threads in some nuts and weld in there.

Last edited:
That's what happens when you drill out the holes for a two in lift.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

That's what happens when you drill out the holes for a two in lift.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Yeah if you take two nuts that fits your through bolt then drill out the threads in them nuts then you have two bushings with a lot of wear room and you weld them into them big O’ holes he had there that would fix that problem. Not looking down on no one. Quoted by Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

What do you think about dropping that down welding it solid going back with nut washer ? Would that take out the play or would it give to much ? A fab. mount would take a bit and this is my DD.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

I agree with your drilled out nut fix above as long as they are welded in.

I take it you have DW ??
Is the bolt loose in the heim or in the frame mount? Or is the Heim worn out? Both?
For your issue I would be sure to get the largest bolt to fit heim joint. You do know that frame mount hole is tapered like a tie rod end... so any bolt will wiggle in there, unless it is shimmed or drilled out.
So, if that bolt is smaller than the frame side hole either swap heim to match and shim the frame side unless it is drilled out. The jKS track bar uses Shims. You may need to look but they are out there. If i was to weld id tack the nut where it is.
You might consider changing the heim to a johnny joint. You Still get good rotation but tighter. And you could rebuild over replacing. At a minimum be sure the heim joint is still tight with a dry steer test.

What joint is on the other end of that bar?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:

Several edits added questions. Re read

let's pause. Work towards the cheapest solid repair.

You hear popping.
1. Are you certain it is that joint bolt and not the axel side? Or another issue like sway bar link gone bad?
Often the axel side will pop when turning due to not being tightened enough.

2. Also could it be the track bar hitting the diff cover..? See the smudges in your pic? Straight bars will hit. Actually many aftermarket started changing due to bent bars or damaged covers.
________________ _________________
The rusty's bracket and bar require a drop pitman arm as seen in the photo. You need to keep the drag link and track bar parallel.
The bushing version will work but may limit any articulation. Not completely but it will. Bushings go bad faster than Heim and Johnny joints but are less $$$. Steinjager and others offers one with bushing at both ends.

Tapered split cone. See it in the part list 03050 you might call them for the part or its dimensions.
3. What size bolt are you currently using?
4. How big is the hole in the Heim joint?
5. Is the frame side mount drilled out? If yes please provide dimensions.
JKS OGS125 - OGS126 Replacement Parts
This is an exaggerated image of the tapered cone.
IMG_1407.JPG

Here is a good informational video

Several edits added questions. Re read.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Last edited:
Back