j/k electronic stability control

mark sr

I drove my jeep to the doctor's office today and it started acting strange. First there was a low pitched rattling sound, then the jeep seemed to loose power after which the ESC light started flashing. Then everything was normal but a few miles later the jeep slowed down and the light came back on and stayed on with an occasional slowing down. I believe the slow down is caused by the ESC cutting in and applying the brakes. When I left the doctor's the jeep drove normally but the ESC, BAS light stays on.

Everything under the front end seems to be ok but I'm at a loss as to getting the light out. I even disconnected the battery but the light comes back on. The Haynes manual seems to ignore it and all the owner's manual says is take it to the dealer because it isn't safe to drive and you might have an accident [not that I believe that]

Does anyone know anything about this system and what to check?

Is your steering wheel centered (not pointed to one side)?
Any changes in your tire or lift size lately?
ABS light on as well?

If you can, read the codes, and see if the computer is complaining about anything.

From what little I've read, it appears that the ESC system senses body roll (i.e. a hard turn), and will apply the brakes automatically.

It still has the factory tires on it, no lift, ABS light isn't lit and it doesn't pull any codes. The steering wheel might be off a tad but the tire wear is perfect. It was at the dealer a week ago for the air bag sensor check recall but I've drove it at least 75 miles before the ESC lights came on.

From what I've heard if your steering wheel is off that can cause the ESC to cut in.

If you decide on getting an alignment I'd suggest Firestone lifetime alignment. I've used mine at least 6 times so far.

My wife bought a burnt out house down the road [used to belong to her dead sister]. She got it for a song because it's under fines for the owner not cleaning it up after the fire so I've been pretty busy working to get it torn down before more fines are added. The have stopped the fines for 30 days. It might be a week or more before I can do anything to the jeep. Probably won't even start it up until Sunday .... but at least I now have a starting point on fixing it!

I drove my jeep to the doctor's office today and it started acting strange. First there was a low pitched rattling sound, then the jeep seemed to loose power after which the ESC light started flashing. Then everything was normal but a few miles later the jeep slowed down and the light came back on and stayed on with an occasional slowing down. I believe the slow down is caused by the ESC cutting in and applying the brakes. When I left the doctor's the jeep drove normally but the ESC, BAS light stays on. Everything under the front end seems to be ok but I'm at a loss as to getting the light out. I even disconnected the battery but the light comes back on. The Haynes manual seems to ignore it and all the owner's manual says is take it to the dealer because it isn't safe to drive and you might have an accident [not that I believe that] Does anyone know anything about this system and what to check?

By ESC. Do you mean the engine light flashes? If so that slowdown is limp mode often set by misfiring

If it is the ECS then what terry said is a common issue. If the steering wheel is off even the slightest the ECS will blink and cause issues.

Last edited:
The ESC light blinked to start with and then progressed to a steady light. To clarify, there are 2 lights that signify an issue with the ESC, a icon with a car and swiggly tire tracks and the letters ESC/BAS. Both of those are lit. The check engine light has not come on.

Drove my jeep last night, my wife informed me that 2 of the kids were taking us out to eat ..... but I was the one that paid ???
Anyway, going down the road I hit a big bump and the 2 idiot lights blinked and then went out so apparently whatever caused them to come on has fixed itself. Earlier I had checked under the front for anything worn/loose but everything seemed to be ok. The steering wheel might be off just a tad. If straight ahead is 12:00, the steering wheel is probably at 12:01 or 12:02. Hard to say for sure if it's the wheel or the road.

The common issue is the steering wheel being slightly off center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tire wear is even! The steering wheel might be off a tad but it's a little hard to tell since I rarely get on new paved roads. Before the light came on there was a strange rattle. When I hit a fairly significant bump in the road the idiot light flashed and then went out. It has not come back on since [except when you first turn on the key]

Back