In need of Electrical assistance.

Todzila

Hi,

First time poster here. I've previously owned a 97 TJ and now own a 06 TJ Unlimited.
please ignore the greyed type. I copied and pasted from another forum where I asked this question.

I went to start my LJ this morning, the key slipped out of my hand as I was cranking the motor, right before the engine started.
When I cranked it again the engine started, but I now have zero electrical. No lights at all, no wipers, no radio, no nuthin'. It runs and drives though, seems like it's in limp mode.

I've never experienced anything like this in any of my vehicles.

When I shut the motor down there is a electrical whining and clicking sound coming from the fuel rail area.
Also, the only light that is working is the trailer brake controller. It is blinking when the ignition is off.

I have disconnected the battery for now.

Does anybody have any idea what I may have fried?

Thanks in advance,
Todd

So put your key in and turn it while feeling for the clicks. No clicks the ignition bar pin broke. You might remove the negative battery terminal cause it is likely the fuel pump is draining your battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's the bar pin the fix is easy. There are a few good YouTube videos omit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So put your key in and turn it while feeling for the clicks. No clicks the ignition bar pin broke. You might remove the negative battery terminal cause it is likely the fuel pump is draining your battery.

It can't be the pin because the vehicle starts and runs. I am picking up a new ignition switch on my way home tonight to try. The damn thing is held on by a Security T10 Torx, gotta buy a new tool too!

I assumed you checked the fuses?

If you feel the clicks in the key when you turn the key from off to on and start then it's not the bar-pin in the ign.

Another thought would be a ground is bad. Do some items work when the lights or blinkers or 4-ways or radio is on...???

Well, I did find out you can easily break off the pin in the T10 Security screw and use a regular T10 to remove the screw =:-D

I replaced the ignition switch, checked the actuator pin. Nothing helped.

Poking around in the interwebs, someone said check the ground strap. Holy crap that was it! The ground that is attached to the firewall was corroded enough to not allow current to pass. A little di-electric grease and all is well.

Thanks for your help.

Todd

I would start with fuses and relays. Oh, I see you found the problem...awesome. I've been an electrician for over 30 years, but when it comes to low voltage stuff (12v etc.) that's the first place I check. That is when most other stuff looks fine. Oh, make sure you have a nice clean metal to metal contact with ground surface. Best of luck...Tom C.

Back