I like ugly parts. Got any?

johnatthebox

Im trying to build a bare bones, low buck, fun 4x4. We used to call them "redneck battle wagons". I picked up a stripped down 1964 cj5 roller, and I have a GM crate 350 to put in it. It had a seized up amc 6 with a T-176 transmission that I hope to use with an adaptor bellhousing. The rest is stock 64 cj5 drive line as far as I know.
I have a shoe string budget(what does that really even mean anyway?shoestring?) and am doing as much fabricating as I can. I like my vehicles to look like frankenstein, but function well.
WHAT I NEED IS - a good source for CHEAP used salvage 4x4 parts. I mean the dented, scratched, bent, UGLY stuff that most builders take off and replace. Can anyone direct me to a jeep/off road 4x4 junkyard that parts out wrecked Jeep cjs? Ive looked online and found Jeep yards that sell Jeep parts for restoration, but Im looking for cheap salvaged aftermarket stuff. Any leads would be appreciated

Im especialy trying to find anything to help with the 350 swap. Anyone have an adaptor kit to pair a GM bellhousing with a T-176?

Where are you located? I've got a nice aftermarket transmission skid plate off my TJ that I'll give you. Located in Virginia Beach.

=========================
*oops
I just noticed that you're in CA. May not work out.

early 80,s cj 4cyl bellhousing is a buick bell with GM bolt pattern that will bolt to your 176. no adapter needed, but you would have to adapt your tcase unless you went d300 case, the 300 is direct bolt up. issues with doing that is the 300 uses a centered rear axle and you have a offset rear. Cant help on finding parts

up in dallas or fort worth is a huge jeep junkyard. I cannot think of their name but they are always advertising online.

early 80,s cj 4cyl bellhousing is a buick bell with GM bolt pattern that will bolt to your 176. no adapter needed, but you would have to adapt your tcase unless you went d300 case, the 300 is direct bolt up. issues with doing that is the 300 uses a centered rear axle and you have a offset rear. Cant help on finding parts

Cant believe I havent noticed this until you mentioned
it....
I am using a d300 and it is centered and my rear dif is offset .......crap!
Is there a way to make this work??
Dammit!

You may have to make a new drive shaft and it may vibrate a little because of the angle of the shaft, But it will work.

Why does it matter if its offset? I always wondered about that. The driveshafts are always offset, just downward. The driveshaft won't care if you offset it to the side also.

The distance from the tcase yoke to the rear axle yoke is just too short, the angle is too severe (wheel base is 81"). I have read where people have done it but the ujoints don't last long and there is vibration. You need a centered diff. your axles should have either 5.38 or 4.88 gears, you will not find that gearing In a axle strong enough for a v8 in a jeep cj unless someone installed them. Your current axles are too weak for a v8 (trust me) unless you are light footed and even then you are on borrowed time, so you really should look into replacing them anyway, either now or later.
Options as I see them:
#1 Find 70-75 cj axles, the front is a dana 30 and the rear is a 30spline centered dana 44. Most are 4.27 gears
#2 find dana 44s out of a wagoneer (they have front and rear 44's)
#3 just find a centered rear and change the gearing to match your front. (remember your front axle isn't very strong)
#4 just hook up what you have and run it until something breaks.

People have run offset dana20 axles in cj7's with success but the "7" has a bit more wheel base which lessens the ujoint angles on the dshaft.

The 80's 4cyl bellhousing has provisions for hydraulic clutch slave cylinder (Only 80's 4cyl cj,s got hydraulic clutch) to bolt directly to it. This would also be a great time to convert to swinging peddles and hydro clutch. Your stock clutch linkage WILL bind up offroad leaving you unable to shift. You can use the bell even if you don't choose to go hydro. just some info on your current axles: your front axle has 10 spline axle shafts, and your rear 44 is a off set tapered two piece 19 spline axle shaft, neither is real strong. On the plus side your axles could have power loks in them which is as close to a full locker as you can get. cheapest axle option for you with using the engine, trans, case you have now would probably be finding jeep cj axles and if the rear is the AMC 20 put one piece axle kit in it. They wont be the strongest but will survive a v8 and the spring perches are in the same location, straight forward swap. Perfect candidates would be 70-75 cj axles, dana30, dana44 (centered)

You, Sir, are a wealth of information. This is awesome stuff. Finally, I have more answers than questions. Thank you 69jeepcj!

Your welcome. I will help in any way I can. I pretty much have the same jeep as you with a gm v8 and car 4spd adapted to the 18tcase(which has the out put yoke on the passenger side for the offset rear axle), had the same axles until I stripped the pinion gears hot rodding on the street, now running basicly the same 10 spline axles (getting replaced soon) but from a earlier year. Ask any questions you have and we will try to answer them.

What kind of steering is on the jeep? stock steering on our year jeeps is terrible (Ross steering). Google "Saginaw swap for early jeep" power or manual. If it is going to be a street driven jeep, I would look into it.

What kind of steering is on the jeep? stock steering on our year jeeps is terrible (Ross steering). Google "Saginaw swap for early jeep" power or manual. If it is going to be a street driven jeep, I would look into it.
It has GM power steering set up. Im not sure what it came out of...

Back