I don't even know.

'98wranglerguy

Hi,
So to get straight to the point, I have no idea what to do next.
About 3 weeks ago, my 98 Jeep wrangler sport wouldn't start. I thought it was a dead battery because none of the lights would come on. So I get a buddy and he gives me a jump and it takes a while but when it does turn over it dies almost right away. I recently replaces the starter and now the alternator. But still nothing. Same as before, like a dead battery. There is a ticking sound coming from the main fuse box, you know the one in the engine compartment. Could it be a fuel pump? I don't know, so any input will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to jeepz.com
the ticking sound you speak of may very well be associated with the fuel system .
you posted the sound originates from the power distribution center . The fuel pump relay is located inside . With the ignition on and the PDC cover off , isolate which relay is sounding off .
placing a finger on a relay may help you find it . If you do suspect the fuel pump relay , you can bypass it to test if need be but at least try swapping in another relay to see if you get the engine started . I should mention first , or ask , do you hear the fuel pump energize when the ignition is on before cranking ? Also , was the alternator replacement due to the battery jump / boost or was it already faulty ? Just hoping the PCM wasn't harmed .
You may have to do some diagnostics . Try looking for dtc's ( diagnostics trouble codes ) of stor d in the PCM . A code reader or the manual will tell how to obtain . My '92 gives them from the MIL lamp ( malfunction indicator lamp ) , thats Chrysler lingo for a check engine light .
This may possibly help,determine if the PCM is a able to communicate with the engine sensors .
if you can get your hands on a fuel pressure tester , in-line spark tester and even a noid light , you can do some preliminary tests to check,for the essentials , fuel , spark and injector pulse .
I'm sure I may have forgotten something but this is a good start and should help at least determine if you have what is needed to run the engine . Fuel from the pump , PCM firing the injectors to provide fuel to each cylinder , and spark to each cylinder as well.
Hope this helps and hoping the PCM didn't get spiked . I know on my '92 , there is a fuel pump resistor on the firewall and a relay for this resistor outside the PDC . I don't know if your '98 will have these but it may be something to be aware of if so or aware of what may be in place of these for,your model year . Sorry this is so involved but hoping this helps .

Clean the grounds that lead from the battery yo the engine and chassis.
Measure and post up your battery voltage engine off and engine running if you get it jumped again.
The crank sensor could do this. Other things can too just keep up with the descriptions and answer all questions. It helps narrow down possibilities

Hi guys,
Thank you so much for your input. It really means a lot. But it turns out it was the battery. Even though the battery was 3 years old and tested good it was the culprit. I took this as a great learning experience.

Hi guys,
Thank you so much for your input. It really means a lot. But it turns out it was the battery. Even though the battery was 3 years old and tested good it was the culprit. I took this as a great learning experience.

Tested good?

How was it tested? There is a specific piece of equipment that simulates a starting condition and measures the current and voltage to give a reading of cold cranking amps.CCA Every vehicle has a different CCA requirement.

Measuring no load voltage is only one measure of health.

PS glad you got it going.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

I took it to Autozone and they hooked it to their fancy gadgets. Thats all I know. I wish I knew more about this type of stuff but I just started learning this year when my jeep started to need fixing.

I took it to Autozone and they hooked it to their fancy gadgets. Thats all I know. I wish I knew more about this type of stuff but I just started learning this year when my jeep started to need fixing.

That's great. I'm still learning and hope to every day. Again glad it's fixed!

Back