95 wrangler yj no spark

Nickg

Intermitent to no spark 95 wrangler

Hey guys i need some help, i traded for a 95 jeep wrangler and when i got it from the guy it was running and sounded great, but i brought it home on a trialer and when i got home it started giving me trouble starting up. The guy told me that it had trouble starting in the cold but i found its having trouble even when its warm out. So i checked for spark and it wasnt getting spark everytime. Sometimes when you crank it there would be spark and then other times there would be none at all. I replaced the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, ignition coil, pickup coil and battery. It still would only crank usually, occasionally it would get spark and start to turn over then choke out like the spark just stopped. Now when i turn the key all it does is crank and i cant get any spark out of it. Sometimes when i turn the key it doesnt even crank but then if i cycle the key a couple times it will crank again but still no spark.
If you guys have any incite on this please let me know ive been trying everything to figure this out and im out of ideas. Thank you

Last edited:

Re: Intermitent to no spark 95 wrangler

20161223_081838.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Check for a good ground between the battery and the frame. Then check for a good ground between the battery the engine block.

Then check where positive cable terminates at the battery and at the starter.

Thoroughly inspect the battery cables positive and negative from the battery all the way to their destinations to make sure they're not damaged anywhere and they are of sufficient size for the current draw and the distance they need to travel...

Then check the hot lead ignition switch to the coil making sure it is all the proper size wire and well terminated. Are you using a ballasted coil? Is it an external ballast for an internal ballasted coil? Is there a bypass wire for the externally ballasted coil if you have that type...? If so, make sure that's working properly.

That should be plenty to look at for a while...;-)

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Thank you i have all good grounds there and the positive cable is good. The wires are all correct sizes

CPS and CPK go bad. They both set the spark. I'd check both out. If replacing use only OEM brand parts. Start with the CPK they are intermittent before full fail.

Above is good advice battery, grounds and connections could have you chasing your tail.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:

Thank you ive checked both and niether are bad. This issue has my mind boggled

I would say that crank sensor. Someone just went througj this recently and theirs checked good but when they put a replacement in, jeep fired up perfectly. Thats always been the trouble on my xj cherokee and yj wrangler. Also, once on my zj grand cherokee. All had the good ol 4.0

I would check the timing, particularly the timing belt.
RJ

There is no timing belt.

Are we talking the jeep in the pic? It doesn't look like a 95 yj

The reason I had you look at all of the high tension leads first is because the last part of your inquiry where you say sometimes it won't even crank - you have to cycle the key a few times...

This is key. You need to solve that problem before you move on. Check to make sure the ignition switch is not broken. Check to make sure the starter solenoid is working properly. Check to make sure are your Park neutral safety switch is working correctly for automatic or your clutch lever switch for a stick...

You've got to get that to work reliably before you can go on to checking for spark. That's why I keep going back to your high tension leads. They may look okay but perhaps there's a bad connector in there somewhere if all of the other things about that I just explained check out okay.

BTW, for testing purposes, I will use jumper cables to create solid connections when there is question as to whether or not the existing cables are good

RR

It is a 95 yj the previous owner took the hood off and put on i believe a 70's cj hood on it

I would say that crank sensor. Someone just went througj this recently and theirs checked good but when they put a replacement in, jeep fired up perfectly. Thats always been the trouble on my xj cherokee and yj wrangler. Also, once on my zj grand cherokee. All had the good ol 4.0
Thank you. Im gonna pick up a new sensor this week and try it out

The reason I had you look at all of the high tension leads first is because the last part of your inquiry where you say sometimes it won't even crank - you have to cycle the key a few times...

This is key. You need to solve that problem before you move on. Check to make sure the ignition switch is not broken. Check to make sure the starter solenoid is working properly. Check to make sure are your Park neutral safety switch is working correctly for automatic or your clutch lever switch for a stick...

You've got to get that to work reliably before you can go on to checking for spark. That's why I keep going back to your high tension leads. They may look okay but perhaps there's a bad connector in there somewhere if all of the other things about that I just explained check out okay.

BTW, for testing purposes, I will use jumper cables to create solid connections when there is question as to whether or not the existing cables are good

RR

I did check all that im going to go through it all again

which engine was in it? I just reread everything and noticed we don't know which engine you have. hopefully, its 6 cylinder because everything I have been saying
is for the 6

Agree with above post . The 2.5 liter or the 4.0 ?
Also , the second post shows a CJ7 trailered . You mentioned a trade , was it the CJ for the YJ ?

Guess he didn't like the square headlights ? Well , you know he's got a good jeep now ! The looks of a CJ and the integrity of a YJ wrangler ! Can't go wrong . Nice Camo too !

I like the square headlights on the yj. it separates the yj from the rest. you can always tell the original wranglers by the square headlights.

Back