95 wrangler yj no spark

Re: Intermitent to no spark 95 wrangler

Square is just that.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

nickg

have you replaced the cam shaft position sensor?

nickg

have you replaced the cam shaft position sensor? Crank shaft position sensor?

Not really sure how to use this site I'm new but I had the same issue with my 95
yj the only thing I did that you did t do was the crankshaft position sensor, I also had the ecm checked out it, it was fine. Also changed the add relay.

Agree with above post . The 2.5 liter or the 4.0 ?
Also , the second post shows a CJ7 trailered . You mentioned a trade , was it the CJ for the YJ ?
Its the 2.5l 4 cyl. And i like the cj hood so much better i dont lile the square headlights of the yj

Anyone know how to get the crankshaft position sensor off? I have it unbolted but it has studs that go through it from the bell housing

Not really sure how to use this site I'm new but I had the same issue with my 95
yj the only thing I did that you did t do was the crankshaft position sensor, I also had the ecm checked out it, it was fine. Also changed the add relay.
How did you get the crank sensor off? I cant get it off

As far as I know you unbolt and pull out. YJ's it ha 4.0 auto is different than others. It fits into a slotted opening

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

I'm famiar with bolts holding the CPS in as well . But reading back in your post stating you cannot remove the CPS because you cannot get it off the two studs got me to research . I don't have proper reference for that year so I turned to google . I don't know if you've got the auto trans but one of the transmissions has a removable metal plate , if I remember right . That would make sense since you would have to move the sensor off the studs . It seems the only way to do that would be to remove a cover to allow that . I wouldn't think a rubber grommet is used in the trans bell housing with studs . I mean , how would one slip the sensor down but engage the bracket on the studs ? Check to see if there is a removable metal cover . This does sound like fun . Sorry .

Last edited:

I got the sensor off, it was a pain to get off but it had a rubber grommit holding it in place. You had to pull out and when you pulled out it pops the grommit off. However when i replaced the crank sensor it didn't do anything the jeep still doesnt start

Be sure there isn't any kind of anti-theft deterrent system ( factory or aftermarket ) of any kind that could be the cause of ignition system cut-off. Usually those systems also prevent crank as well so this may not be the case . Verify that all fuses are good and look for voltage across terminals with ignition on . Use a test light to the ignition coil post with a gap . Crank engine and look for an arc. Should be steady on/off and strong white spark. If no spark or poor / weak spark , look for voltage coming in at harness connector to coil . The test light to look for volts at coil post secondary should be a heavy duty 12 volt test light but when looking for voltage at harness connector of coil or ANY sensor harness connector , use a computer safe test light .
You never want to draw more than 5 volts from a computer circuit . A 12 volt light will cause computer damage due to over draw. Computer safe test lights aren't too expensive and always good to have . I suggest obtaining one since more diagnostics may possibly be needed relating to computer feedback in this diagnostics . Also , a noid light to test fuel injector pulse will be needed too .
Has fuel pressure been verified key on and engine cranking ?
Also , when the need to use a voltmeter is found , make certain its computer safe too if checking a computer circuit since over draw can occur just by using a meter that draws too much from a computer sensitive circuit . All computer circuits whether a ground circuit or 5 volt reference and signal feedback need to be checked with computer safe equipment to avoid computer damage . Hope all ground connections and all other connections are clean and tight .

Last edited:

Also , as Djs jeep posted , the cam sensor will have to be checked as well .
Youll want to know if it's receiving 12 volt reference and if a signal feedback is present .
Both , the cam and crank sensors have to have 5 volt reference , signal feedback and ground .
Without it , the PCM won't even know the engine is trying to start . Coolant temp sensor voltage and ground needs to be checked or could produce a no start too.
I know that computer safe voltmeters are $$ but we don't want to damage a PCM .

Dont know if you have solved the problem yet but i had an issue with my jeep not starting and when it did would die randomly and after a new cpu and cps still did same thing. Come to find out my transmission fuild once changed stoped this. Forgot what it was called i pulled it off trans and was gummed up from the old fluid and additives previous owner put in it. With that clean and new fluid i have not had a problem since. Never thought my atf would stop my car from starting

Sent from my SM-G930T using Jeepz.com mobile app

It turned out my starter was having intermittent issues so it looked good was cranking great but was slowly dieing

Yeah it was an easy fix but it took a while to figure out cause every time i tested the starter it tested good

Back