89 YJ hard shifting into 1st - AX 15

Jersey Jeep

I need some help with a YJ shifting problem. I have a 1989 Wrangler 4.2L / AX15 with 80K miles. In the last 15K miles I replaced the clutch and hydraulic throwout bearing assembly, I also installed the Mopar EFI kit (the stock carb is impossible), Borla stainless headers, new carpets/seats/top and wheels & tires. I am suddenly experiencing very hard shifting into first when stopped. Here are the symptoms: Trans cold, no problems. Trans warmed up, at a stoplight, clutch in, shift into neutral, let clutch out, light changes, press clutch in, cannot shift back into first unless I force shifter REAL hard. Sometimes shifting first into 2nd, 3rd etc, helps but its hard to get into those gears also. If the engine is off it shifts like butter. The clutch is definitely not dragging and engages smoothly. There is no hydraulic throwout bearing fluid loss. I changed and checked the trans fluid level (no metal chips on the drain plug). Normal shifting, both up and down is fine with no grinding either way. It doesn’t feel like the syncros as it shifts smoothly when driving (I could be wrong). It isn’t the ball detents on the shift fork shafts as it shifts fine with the motor off. It “feels” like when the oil thins out, something is spinning that won’t allow engagement into first. Any ideas on what the problem is? Should I try a new shifter first or just rebuild the trans? Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
Steve

I know you said you watched the fluid level in the clutch throwout bearing but have you bled it or re-bled it after installation ? I had to re bleed mine about two weeks after I put it in no loss of fluid or any thing just somehow some air got trapped in there I guess.
Anyway just a thought based on what I had to do ( I was tipped off by having a hard time with 1st and reverse from a dead stop without double pumping clutch on a brand new setup about two weeks after I put it in )
Let me know if that has any effect or if you tried that already .

------------------
93 YJ & 2001 Cherokee Limited.Past Jeeps : 94 Cherokee Country,79 Cherokee Chief ,87 YJ Sahara,75 CJ5 Golden Eagle , 82 CJ7

I know this message is a little late I hope you solved your problem by this time? I have a two 92 Wrangler with AX15 Trany. They both gave me problems shifting into low gear. I read an article that a AX15 owner used Red Line Synthetic Trany Oil, and after several hundred miles the problem with shifting into low gear went away. So I gave it a try, I ordered Red Line Trany Oil, and notd a complete difference in shifting almost from the start. I have no more shifting problems especially into low gear, with both of my Jeeps. I hope this helps if not too late!

Back