1995 jeep yj 2.5 timing chain sound?

Johnny Morandi

I went to my friend who is a mexhanic he got out a stethescope and listened to my engine i guess its a timing chain sound he wants me ro pay 600-1000 plus muffler fixed is this a decent price

Although I don't truly know the going rate for a shop or dealer to perform the repaair(s) you need , I still think that estimate you've received is somewhere between high and outrageous.
i do my own work and that is why because of the inflated costs . I'm sure you know why a shop or dealer charges as they do but from my perspective I just think that is far too much $$ .
Rather than speculate the why's , I think you should call a few places just to get estamites .
Not wishing to bring any animosity between you and a friend , just thinking as you are.
I'm sure you think this is quite expensive so since its your money , you have the right to decide what you will pay . Not knowing any other mechanics you can trust is why you seek your friends help but it really sounds very high , almost dealership rates , hence the nickname , stealership .

Last edited:
is it that hard to put a timing chain on a 4 cylinder? it wasn't on my 91 bmw 318i. it only took a couple hours and the bmw engine bay is a lot tighter then a yj.

I just did the timing belt on my 325e. I had to pull the radiator, shroud, fan, all belts, water pump, and timing covers (obviously, I know), and it still was only 4-5 hours so if he is charging 125 an hour then 600 would be correct. sounds outrageous to me but I do my own work, also

Back