Pops out of first gear

zeke115

2000 TJ pops out of first gear with a very hard bang. Does not do it every time but I don't know why it happens. It doesn't seem to be due to me mis-shifting because it has happened when I was really paying attention. It only happens in 1st gear from a stop.Not every time but enough to eventually cause some damage. Any ideas???[addsig]

any modifications? if the rig is bone stock, the haynes manual cites the following reasons as causes for this:

-transmission loose on clutch housing
-stiff shift lever seal
-shift linkage binding
-broken or loose input gear bearing retainer
-dirt between clutch lever and engine housing
-worn linkage
-damage or worn check balls, fork rod ball grooves, or check springs
-worn mainshaft or countershaft bearings
-loose engine mounts
-excessive gear end play
-synchronizers worn

how many miles ya got?

-nate[addsig]

20k easy miles, stone stock.
Dealer replaced transmission mount saying that was the problem. I think something else is wrong and the banging caused the mount to weaken. It still bangs. Got to be something on your list.[addsig]

Make sure you are getting it into first gear all the way. Sometimes it is not in all the way and it will pop out. But It sounds like the syncros are starting to go.[addsig]

My 2000 TJ sometimes slips out of gear, but only when I do not put it in gear all the way, sounds like a gun went off.[addsig]

Been back to dealer. Further review and talk with factory techs came up with a quiet history of problems with the blocking rings. They will replace the blocking rings and syncros under warranty. Parts are being ordered. We'll see what happens.[addsig]

Dealer made several attempts at repair. Problem remained. They eventually replaced the transmission with new. Few months later all seems well.

Back