258 Ignition Upgrade

Rebel1970

I bought a 1983 CJ7, about 18 months ago. I have read all I can find about the ignition upgrades. All of the ones I have read state the upgrade is for engines from 1978 to 1990. For what I can find out, I have a 1983 CJ7 with a 1977 engine in it. Why...I have no idea why it has this engine in it. My question is, will say the Team Rush ignition upgrade work on my engine. I think it should. Thanks for your help!

If your CJ has the stock straight 6 engine then it will work. If you've got a 4 banger then it won't apply.

Rebel ... I have a 1983 CJ7 ... last year I put in a GM HEI ignition from CRT ... ( about $125) was a very good move. I don't think the earlier engine is any diff. than the 1983. It is an extremely simple job. I had some truble with the tach hookup ... but, I think the tach was intermitantly bad to begin with.

JonSpr
Did you replace the stock coil with an e coil? The e coil connector has 3 wires, red with tracer, green and green with a yellow tracer. Is it safe to assume that the green with the tracer is for the tach? I am a little confused on how to wire the new e coil. Thanks for any help that you can give me.

JonSpr
Did you replace the stock coil with an e coil? The e coil connector has 3 wires, red with tracer, green and green with a yellow tracer. Is it safe to assume that the green with the tracer is for the tach? I am a little confused on how to wire the new e coil. Thanks for any help that you can give me.

No,on the HEI,the coil is inside the top of the distributor...the green wire went to the tach. I'm unsure about
your green w/ tracer ... probably common to the ignition module.

Back