YJ Console

RayOvac

Well I spent about 2 hours tonight repairing my worn out console. Its a bestop trailmax classic
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

and it SUCKS! The hinges that hold the lid/arm rest on were tiny with tiny screws and I guess all the repeated openings/closings by the previous owners and myself finally took its toll. The small screws that held the hinges to the console stripped out and took chunks of the back part of the console with them.

The lid was already loose when I got it...making it useless to lock because you could just push the lid to the right and it would slide away from the latch and it would open. Well recently the lid just came off when I opened it and fell in the back seat. So I took the console out. A YJ with no console sucks...I mainly missed the cupholders.

Anyway I took two pieces of 3/8" plywood and cut them to the same size as the back of the console and then glued and screwed them together to make a nearly one inch thick piece of wood. Then I screwed the new back in place with long wood screws after removing the old part.

For hinges I got some screen door hinges and butted them up together to span the length of the back and used long wood screws to attach them to the lid and base. Now the console is pretty secure and still looks good (I did a good job keeping the upholstery nice and stapled it back the same). I think it will last longer and it now is lockable.

The console is still weak though and a determined thief could get into it with a crow bar easily (the whole console is just particle board :-( ) I am thinking about getting another more secure console to replace this one.

What consoles do you other YJ guys have that are good? I have heard of the tuffy ones but those are pretty expensive. I need a secure console and cupholders would be nice.

edited by: RayOvac, May 12, 2003 - 01:07 AM[addsig]

I've got the same console, and haven't had any problems. It's obviously not real sturdy and my 2yo daughter could get in it even if it's locked, let alone a thief. I think it's one of the better looking aftermarket consoles out there. If you want security, I think Tuffy is the best option.[addsig]

Dude your better off making your own after all that work you put into that POS... you can get a new locking mechanism at Home Depot cheap... just build around it! Here you can use the one I made for ideas. Just Click!

edited by: Joopin\', May 12, 2003 - 06:27 AM[addsig]

I have the same one in my CJ. Last summer someone was looking for stuff to steal and snapped the cupholders right off even though the console was open. My next one will be a tuffy, sure they're more expensive, but their locks actually work and they're not made out of balsa wood.

jim[addsig]

Hey joopin was that very hard to make? I looked at the pictures and the finished console looks professional. Why did you choose aluminum? I would probably make mine out of sheet metal as opposed to aluminum (cheaper and stronger) so I wouldn't need the special rods to weld it. [addsig]

I have had 4 years of faithful service from my steel horse super console.

If anyone is interested, I have 2 factory gray 94 yj consoles, 1 is perfect, 1 the lid is loose but functional.

Johnny[addsig]

Well the reason I picked aluminum is because the shop I work at has so much scrap I pretty much took what I want. If you have the correct tools it is not difficult to make. One thing I would suggest is making a full sized paper layout of the side view at least, it really helps when bending the metal. If you can get your hands on a brake to bend the metal (aluminum or sheet metal) and a welder it should be pretty easy depending on how much extra stuff you put on it. (fold down cup holders, padded armrest, dual locking compartments) Good luck.[addsig]

Back