Cracked transmission bell housing

Dominus_87YJ

Hello community, I have a 1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ I just recently purchased. I had to haul it home thinking it just needed a driveshaft as told by previous owner. As I went underneath I noticed the transmission bell housing is cracked. I attached some photos. How severe is this? Can the housing just be replaced or did this thing just cost me a butt load of money needing a new transmission?
If transmission is needed, any cost estimates?
Sorry for all the questions very new to the scene. Appreciate all the help!

Attachments

• IMG_2229.PNG
    IMG_2229.PNG
    999.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2228.JPG
    IMG_2228.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 39

See any gap? Casting marks can look like cracks.

Remove the transmission and find someone that can weld aluminum.

See any gap? Casting marks can look like cracks.

Remove the transmission and find someone that can weld aluminum.

Yeah it has a small crack gap. I think they can weld it from the outside unless they have to weld it from the inside as well then I'll have to take it off.
Thanks for the reply tho bounty I've seen you around a lot on here. Didn't think you'd reply to me though good stuff 👍🏼

if you cannot weld it from the outside, I think you are done with that trans. I would pull that sucker as close to straight as possible with a ratcheting trap or winch and put a heat lamp on the housing for a while to get it as warm as possible. than weld it up and put the heat lamp on it again to try and normalize the stress from welding. hopefully it holds but if it doesn't, you aren't really out anything since you would have to replace it anyways.

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to take every option into consideration before spending 2k on a transmission. Heat lamp is a good idea didn't think about it. Good tips.

im almost sure it cracked when the driveshaft went flying off. Previous owner put a 6 inch lift with the regular driveshaft causing too much vibration.

Back