2001 4.0 Engine issue

CaseyD

so my daughters jeep is begging me to sell it but i really dont want to. this little thing has given me fits since weve owned it.(bought it used) but i was ok with that, i figured once she is done with it then ill keep for myself and have a toy. but man this thing is stubborn, its as if it just doesnt like not having an issue. Ive been chasing a intermittent starting issue that i think i finally solved and now got hit with a new one. Friday my daughter was getting ready to leave school and it wouldnt start. i was thinking oh here we go again. but she said this time was different. So i get to her school and start, or try to start her jeep. it turned over but wouldnt start. so i feathered the accelerator and it would start but if i let off the accelerator it would instantly die. So to get home, which is only a couple of miles, i had to feather the accelerator and brake. once i get home i backed into the garage so it would be easier to work on, let off the accelerator it would stay running but it had a a really low idle. Not sure where to start so any leads would be great. Thanks everyone.

Idle issues with the 4.0 usually points straight to the IACV " Idle air control valve ".
Located at the throttle body, take it out and clean it, maybe 10 minutes. It's a very common issue but an easy fix.

As above clean the TB band IAC.
Check fuel pressure.
O2sensor
Temp sensor
CKP

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Back