steering wheel 90 degrees off.

mmello13

So I got a high steer kit put in and my steering wheel is sideways. Got an alignment and it's still sideways. Any idea on how to correct this? Also my left turn bottoms out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

when they did the alignment they didn't center everything? that's weird. to center the steering wheel, you just loosen the piece on the link from the steering arm to the axle and twist it forward or backwards until the wheel is straight. the bottoming out with require doing that same but in other spots and will probably mess up the alignment you just got, a little bit

Ok I'm assuming they tried to center everything. I went to town fair tire for the first alignment and then I went to another brake and alignment place and they said something was wrong with the steering. So to places that do alignments all the time both saying they can't do it. There's something wrong there. Haha

did they take off your pitman arm when they did the high steer? If so, it sounds like they didn't center the wheel before reinstalling it. do you have same amount of turns of the steering wheel from lock left to lock right. No amount of alignment will fix that, so save your money there. If they didn't center the wheel before putting the pitman arm on you will not have the same amount of steering wheel turns, and will need to take off the pitman arm and center the wheel. Do you have any pictures of what they did, (the finished product)?

I don't have pictures and it's snowing right now. I'm going back to the shop soon to have them look at it. He said he didn't drop the arm so it shouldn't have moved.

I got in touch with teraflex and sent them a couple pictures. Turns out the kit requires a stock pitman arm not the dropped they give you with lift kits.

Yea supposedly so I'll be doing that when the 20 degree weather and snow clears out. Lol

do not hammer or bang on the arm or box to remove the pitman arm. you will damage the seal in there and it will start to leak, trust me on that.. use a puller, maybe very light taps. I ruined two boxes in the past by not taking that advise.

Yea we were pulling the stock one off when I got the lift and the puller broke so we had to bang it. It was the only way. Haha. The claw and half the stem were still stuck on it so we couldn't pull it off. Box is fine though.

There's a good trick to pulling pitman arms. Put the puller on and crank it up tight. Take a 3 lb sledge and hit the side of the pitman arm at a 90 degree angle to the sector shaft. Tighten, hit, repeat. This will pop it off with minimal effort.

Yes with a high steer you need to remove a drop pitman arm. I had to go one step further and install a flat pitman arm off a full size Jeep (SJ).

Well I'm hoping that this fixed it. The stock arm is on just need the alignment. It was too late on sat to get an alignment and now I work 24 hours today go figure haha

Back