1970 CJ5 Dauntless V6 Starter Motor Upgrade??

Johnsonav

Can anybody give me some information regarding replacing the old GM Delco starter on the Buick odd-fire V6 225 with a Chevy High Torque Mini Starter? The mini starter is supposed to be able to replace these old Chevy Delco starters, however, when I check into them, they are made for flywheel ring gear tooth count of 153 or 168 tooth count. The OEM ring gear is 160 teeth. Has anyone with my engine switched over to these newer starters?

No you can not use a chevy starter on a 160 tooth buick flywheel. The 225 and 231 odd and even fire engines use the same 160 tooth flywheel. summit racing lists a powermaster xs torque starter for a 87 buick regal gnx 231 (grandnational), same tooth count and will work on your engine.

Thank you for confirming that for me. It makes sense that the centerline of the gear would have to be offset for a different ring gear diameter, but I've been told by the manufacturer of the high torque that it would work. I wasn't biting until I confirmed. Thanks again!

I don't see why they told you that, the teeth on the chevy 153 or 168 starter wouldn't engage correct to the 160 flywheel teeth. trying to make money I assume. You could use the chevy starter but would have to change flywheels. Just for future reference, even though the 225 and 231 share the same tooth count, they are balanced different. you cant just simply swap flywheels between the two with out having it rebalanced. Im not sure if the balance difference is between the odd and even fire or for both. Just thought id mention it incase In the future you decide to swap flywheels.

Back