Pitman arm

mmello13

Is it possible to put the pitman arm on wrong or does it only fit one way?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

what year? I don't know about the newer jeeps (97 and up). on earlier models yes it is. If you look at the splined portion of the arm you should see a couple of flat sections that have no spline, those flat spots line up with flat spots on the sector shaft of the box. you can line them up wrong and your steering will be off. Disconnect the pitman arm and get your tires pointing straight manually by hand, then count how many turns your steering wheel turns all the way from lock to lock (right to left), turn your steering wheel back half that distance and install the pitman arm pointing straight back towards the rear of the jeep. That should center everything.

There's 3 flat spots. I didn't notice it it could be put on facing 3 different ways though. Haha but everything still is still ****ed up after the stock was installed with the high steer kit. Now it's drifting my wheels still cockeyed and my and kicks on once on a while when I breaj

yes, pitman arm facing straight back towards rear of jeep, with wheels straight before installing the arm.

not sure I understand what you are saying about the cockeyed wheel.. are you saying if one wheel it pointing straight the other is cocked in or out rather than straight also? if so, that sounds like the tie rods not adjusted correctly (alignment) on the side that's cocked. get the pitman arm on correct first.

No just my wheel is slanted. I'm the guy that had the other thing saying steering wheel 90 degrees off. It was bc I had the dropped pitman arm on now it's just 45 degrees but the alignment still didn't fix it. Idk what the hell is going on. I went to 2 alignment shops and had the stock arm put on and it is still off. I'm about to drop it off at the dealership and have them fix it. Haha

I don't know how else to explain how to do it, and of course im not standing in front of the jeep to see it. it can be confusing. I wish I could help you more, I just don't know what else I could say. im not saying what I explained was crystal clear, so please don't be offended. The pitman arm faces straight back to the rear so you have equal amounts of steering wheel turns left to right, or very close to equal. If you get the tires pointing straight and the pitman arm pointing to the rear and you steering wheel is still off, you can try adjusting the tie rod the connects to the arm by loosening the clamps at both ends of the rod and turning the rod with a pipe wrench, this should begin to straighten you steering wheel so watch your wheel as you turn the rod. if that fails, id take it to the dealer. I played with mine for about a week before I got it close enough with out going to a shop. I just refuse to go to a shop, my jeep has never seen a shop, lol

Lucky you. I'm new to the world of mechanics. Haha. I mean I've done plenty of work on my jeeps. Transfer case swaps lift kit axle swaps but never an alignment. And I don't weld so I had to bring it to a shop for my high steer kit. I still have a lot to learn. Would just be easier for me of I had someone around here helping me haha

Back