Toe seems off

mmello13

So I went for an alignment and my tires seem to be off. One will be straight and the other slightly off sometimes more than slightly. All steering components are brand new. I got the high steer kit with HD tie rod and drag link. Any ideas? It was like this before and after the kit was installed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

What year and model? Pics please. You have three threads dancing around the issue but haven't listed the (victim's) vehicle's info or pics. Please fill out your profile regarding your jeep.

What brand high steer kit? We're all the parts installed?
What size tires do you have and how much suspension lift?
Pics of your issue will help diagnose if something else is wrong.

Shops that don't know jeeps or 4x4 vehicles set to values at the hub instead of at the thread. This sets the wrong toe. Stu's off road has a great write up on how to check and set alignment.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
The tie rod going from tire to tire set that setting. I had that issue with mine,,, what "I" did was: get the tires straight, then disconnect the tie rod at the tire that was off center and screw that rod end in or out to straighten it. without a machine you will not know if it is within specs, being you have a "13" model year you may want to take it to a dealer and tell them the issue. I wasn't concerned with perfection as my jeep is old and never see,s the highway, I simply took it for a ride, let go of the steering wheel and it kept going straight so I called it good. you can use a tape measure from the inside of the driver tire to the inside of passenger tire behind the axle, do the same in front of the axle, get the same measurement and it should be pretty straight.

Yea I have 3 different ones all different topics but dealing with the same issue and still.net.only the same 2 people helping me lol. I won't be able to get pics up for a couple day. I getting off work at 8 and going straight to my other job. I'm going out to Martha's vineyard until tomorrow and won't have the jeep until then. So maybe tomorrow or sat I'll tale.pics. hopefully sat I'll be able to do some work to my jeep. I have a new shock and coil spacers on the way to relieve the sag from the weight of the bumpers and winch. I called teraflex and they said my lift is wrong for the kit even though I have a 4 inch lift and that what it says to have. I have a Teraflex high steer kit with all the fixings. Everything was installed. I have 35x12.50 open country RT 4" Rough country lift

I'm curious what type of Jeep you have as well.
Just so that I understand, you have:
- Brand new 4" rough country lift kit
- 35 inch tires
- Teraflex high steer kit
- ordered some coil spacers.

Are you just eyeballing the tires to determine they're off, or is your Jeep driving bad (i.e. wandering)?
I think you'll need to set the toe again when you put the coil spacers on.

I recommend Firestone's lifetime alignment. Pay once and use it unlimited times.

I'm curious what type of Jeep you have as well.
Just so that I understand, you have:
- Brand new 4" rough country lift kit
- 35 inch tires
- Teraflex high steer kit
- ordered some coil spacers.

Are you just eyeballing the tires to determine they're off, or is your Jeep driving bad (i.e. wandering)?
I think you'll need to set the toe again when you put the coil spacers on.

I recommend Firestone's lifetime alignment. Pay once and use it unlimited times.
I have a 2013 unlimited Rubicon. The jeep wobbles and wanders. And there's a ton of play in the steering wheel now too since the stock pitman arm was put on. I'm praying that the spacers will do the job.

Take a straight on pick of your front end so we could see the components and the alignment of the components. Like this but straight on
mainphpg2_viewcoreDownloadItemg2_itemId3-1.jpg

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

It's too dark to take a pic now.

I have to wait til Monday for the spacers kit now. 😑 it was supposed to be here today so I'm pretty ****ed. I wanted to work on it tonight.

Ok
The wobble and wander.
First make sure everything is tight and nothing has loosened.
If you put too soft of a spring rate on there with heavy bumper and winch..or soft shocks you will get a boat like feel.like your are drifting across lanes.
The taller springs change the caster on the vehicle closer to zero. Low caster reduces the force that returns the steering wheel to center. Caster can be corrected, If you use the adjustable control arms. They will also allow a bit of recentering the tire in the wheel well but caster correction is important.
The lift came with a drop pitman arm and a track bar relocation bracket. The important item here is the track bar is parallel with the drag link. If they are not parallel they follow two different arcs. When the vehicle suspension articulates when hitting a bump the axel moves down and away at a faster rate than the drag link. This causes the steering to change course. As the weight comes back down the change in direction snaps back. This is called bump steer. Small bumps throw the vehicle around. In most cases if you drop the drag link with the pitman arm you must change the angle of the track bar. Being you changed to a high steer the pics will help determine what is off.

Also the tie rod ends on the bar flip flop adding another loose feeling. There are spacers that minimize this action.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Ok well I'll tell you this the drag link and track bar are nowhere near parallel lol. Which is what's probably causing all the problems. But now I know why the guy said my lift isn't big enough. My drag link and tie rod are almost parallel not track bar. I was really hoping to have been able to put my kit in today but bc the weather we had coming toward us ups didn't bring my package anywhere on Wednesday. Dick heads lol.

The worst of times are having issues that mane it less fun or waiting for parts. The weather is not their fault.

The lift size is not the issue. 4 in is big. Bigger will cause additional issues.
The alignment you got, did they give you a printout of the alignment values? Post them up.

In the mean time post pics

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:

Best pics I could get. Sorry I took so long I had to look at my dad's brakes and put a cb in my gf's jeep.

The worst of times are having issues that mane it less fun or waiting for parts. The weather is not their fault.

The lift size is not the issue. 4 in is big. Bigger will cause additional issues.
The alignment you got, did they give you a printout of the alignment values? Post them up.

In the mean time post pics

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk
Figured out why there was so much movement is my steering. 😑 the last place that aligned me left the damper and tie loose. I just went under the jeep to take pictures the damper was slid all the way shut and the tie rod nuts weren't even touching the shaft.

I'll be honest it doesn't look like you got 4 in of lift.. Maybe cause the pics are so close. Here is one I found with 4 in lift ant terra high steer.
attachment.php
. Note the drag link and Track bar alignment.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:

Yea I bought a 4 in loft but the guy said the rough country springs are a little weaker than others so that's why I bought spacers.

Back