Eaton Trutrac on CJ5

The trutrac is a limited slip. If you are going to spend the money, get a locker! Many cj,s came factory with limited slips, the advertiseing is miss leading as it sends power to the wheel that is spinning (already stuck), NOT the one with traction.. I personally think it would be a waste of money if you are buying for off roading.

I have read bad stories about lockers and light weight, short wheelbase vehicles. Especially if your rig isn't trail only. The write-ups about the Trutrac say it's an LSD under normal conditions but then acts more like a spool after it loses traction.

I have no personal experience with eaton, but I had a locker (lock rite) in the rear of a cj7. It did take some getting used to on the street. The way the auto lockers work is when you have your foot in the gas pedal, the locker is active and working. when you let off the gas pedal the locker unlocks. when it unlocks you can sometimes feel it and it can make you swerve a little, sometimes it makes a bang when it unlocks. when coasting around turns (like turning onto a street) you can hear a ratcheting, clicking sound from the locker ratcheting while its unlocked, kinda like a ratchet wrench. Would I own another locker?,, absolutely!! They are scary to drive in 2wd in the snow. If you are wanting traction for off roading and spending the money, I would skip the lsd. if you are going to drive mainly on road with the occasional off road trip then the lsd may be better suited for your needs.. You can get air locker that you can manually turn off and on, but they are expensive..

I agree with 69jeepcj. I have a Detroit Locker on my "78CJ5 & it can be a bit scary on curves or lane changes when accelerating. It takes some getting used to to say the least, but if the Jeep is going to be used off road a lot it is the way to go.

Thanks for all the information, guys. There are so many options, I like to get as much first hand knowledge as I can before making a decision.

Back