Amc 20 rear axle tube rusting

ndnatty

So I am trying to get my 1979 CJ7 fixed up to take to a jeep event here in south Florida (Fort Lauderdale area). I was almost done when I went to prepare to do a disk brake conversion on the rear amc 20. Looks like the axle tube is starting to rust through at the spring mount. So I call around to see if anyone could retube it for me. Would be a great upgrade anyway. But was told it can't be done by every shop I called. I can't afford a new replacement axle. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz.com mobile app

Possibly look at sleeving it outer or inner. Outer is stronger You could then truss it for strength.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Yeah when I mention that down here they look at me like I'm crazy. Would love to be near a place like Currie , or back home in the mountains of NC, then I'd have no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz.com mobile app

Well at least get in touch with them to understand the possibilities. There is shipping. It may be an extra expense but you would have to decide that for yourself.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Check your local craigslist, you should be able to get a model 20 anywhere from 150.00 to 300.00. Most keepers upgrade from the 20 so finding one shouldn't be too hard. Standard gear ratio for 79 is 3.54. I would think retubing or sleeving would be that much or close.

Back