Will a windshield mounted light bar hinder my jeeps performance?

IwantToJeep

Hey everybody, Jeep noob here.
I'm about to install an AEV 2.5 in lift onto my 2013 JK Sport.
I also want to install a windshield mounted light bar (purely for aesthetics) but I've heard this can seriously hinder my Jeeps performance. I'll be running 35in AT tires with a stock 3.21 gear ratio.
Also this will be a dual purpose jeep.
Will this affect my driving?
Thanks

I'm not sure if it would hurt your performance. But they do make noise going down the road they whistle but that can be corrected I just fixed mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

your tire size will screw things up first 35's with the stock gear ratio will chew up all your torque and adding that light bar to it will make it worse, You need to regear that rig for the tires first, then the light bar will be negligible

^^^ what he said, I'll add you'll see a drop in gas mileage once you level it and add big tires, not to mention the gutless feel. Light bars look cool dude but I wouldn't own one unless I needed it. Put the money in an IRA.

The LED light bars don't stick up as high so you may consider those. I doubt the mileage decrease would be that much. They already get terrible mileage anyway.

it will be a noticeable drop. we took it off ours after 2 or 3 days because of how much noise and gas mileage loss. why go into single digit gas mileage just because you want your jeep to look like everyone else's jeep

I had no idea they were that bad on the mileage. I prefer just a couple spots mounted at the base of the windshield myself.

I had no idea they were that bad on the mileage. I prefer just a couple spots mounted at the base of the windshield myself.

I lost 1-2 mpg posting my KC's there.

Also a guy I worked with won a light bar rack so he filled it with 7 in light. That lasted 2 months doe to the mph loss.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Not to mention the glare from the lights onto your hood can bleach out your vision at night, that's why I keep the lights on the stinger bumper on 'BB'

I had my fogs on my 87 on the bumper also, in the factory spot

622b958e0db5711e39132c33f38ef25a-1.jpg
i have a 52” windshield led bar and 35’s but I also have a manual trans. so regearing really wasn’t necessary. Over that I would, which I intend on. Now for the lightbar. It does add a ton of noise. sometimes hurts lol but weather stripping and some simple process of elimination helps. And not to make waves. If you were concerned about gas mileage you shouldn’t have gotten a Jeep

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Coolness will skyrocket with any light bar on your Jeep. Spend the money on an angry eyes grille too.

Last edited:
To each their own, that what makes a jeep a jeep, it’s customizable to the way YOU like it so in order for one to feel laughed at one must value your opinion, And I don’t you must own an FJ

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:

My 2015 JKU has 35's and had a lightbar, I didn't notice a change in gas mileage but the noise was horrible.....while trying ideas to fix this my son took it on a trip and the vibration going down a windy freeway at 65mph vibrated the threadlocked bolts out and it came loose on one side! Looked badass but not worth the trouble to me!

I'm not sure if it would hurt your performance. But they do make noise going down the road they whistle but that can be corrected I just fixed mine

Back