Motor swap

lenny65ss

OK so I have a 92 Jeep Wrangler YJ With a four-cylinder with 32,000 original miles. This jeep is never been off Road and it's pretty much brand-new ! It does have a lift and some 33's nicer seats and a couple other minor things other than that it's all original! My question here is I'm looking for some more power and I'm considering putting in a six cylinder 4.0 jeep motor of course everyone is telling me to leave my vehicle alone as it will kill the value other people are telling me put a Chevy 350 in it, I would like to know what other jeeps there is think with the six-cylinder 350 Chevy or leave it alone, thanks in advance for all your replies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as swapping in the 4.0L, nothing about it being a Jeep engine makes the swap any easier than any other drivetrain. You just end up with another run of the mill 4.0L but with a non-factory hacked install.

As for decreasing the Jeep's value, only you can decide that. What's it worth to you now? What's it worth if swapped? If you have no intentions of selling and it's a toy, build it how you want.

I am with bounty hunter if you going to go threw the trouble of changing motor mounts and drive lines may as well go big and get a Chevy 350 or something similar.

Jeep! not just a vehicle a way of life.

it will be easier to drop in the 4.0 that the 8 cyl 350. You wont have to change the entire drive line, and the weight is considerably less. People are hung up on the bigger is better when it really isnt idea. with the 4.0 almost everything is off the shelf, not so with the chevy mill. before even considering the chevy check your local DOT to see what hoops you will have to jump trough. THEN start considering options. its your wallet not theirs Also check out this site :
Pro Rock stroker kits jeep 4.0-4.6 -4.7- 5.0 - 505performance.
the 505 refers to the HP output they can get out of a Jeep inline six. cost wise the chevy 350 would be much more expensive to build and not as reliable as the jeep non interference engine,,, Facts make the difference.

Last edited:

If the existing engine works and you aren't dying for more power, why waste the money ? How about a gear swap to give you a little more performance being that you have 33's? Who would do the swap, I assume a shop ? Any idea how much that costs ? Don't forget that when you double the power with a V8, much of the drivetrain needs to match the new found power under the hood. The 4.0 is a great engine but I don't know if it's worth it. I got news for you, not everyone does a perfect job swapping an engine, some are left with problems for a long time.

If the existing engine works and you aren't dying for more power, why waste the money ? How about a gear swap to give you a little more performance being that you have 33's? Who would do the swap, I assume a shop ? Any idea how much that costs ? Don't forget that when you double the power with a V8, much of the drivetrain needs to match the new found power under the hood. The 4.0 is a great engine but I don't know if it's worth it. I got news for you, not everyone does a perfect job swapping an engine, some are left with problems for a long time.

My Mecanic has done many! He does a nice clean job with the install and would go through the motor before he drops it in, Installation on a inline 6 jeep motor is a straight forward job, I think I have 4:10 gears now. What would you recommend as far as gears go?????

This is going to be for around town and HWY DRIVING,SO???

If you still have the Dana 35 I believe the deepest you can go is 4:88 gears.

Jeep! not just a vehicle a way of life.

if its just for around town and highway driving why does it have 33s and a lift? go to 31s and get good gas mileage.

For highway and around town I would not motor swap. You have s clean low mileage engine.
To improve anything I'd look to lightening the jeep. Gearing properly with the 32's or 31's as mentioned. If you are staying 33s I'd look for narrow tires. They once made 33x9.5r15 that were great.

As for bolt on performance if it makes a difference it is at WOT or really high rpm. Or if you add a turbo.

The only bolt on that made some difference was an electric fan and removing the mechanical. Here the fan only kicks on when you are going less than 35mph or if you have an overheating issue. Removing the clutch fan reduces the load on the engine.
The same goes for AC if you could do without it. Removing it reduces constant engine load.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:

engine change; the little 4 cyl. has many problems besides not capable of freeway speeds. the other jeep inline engines aren't much better. the question is which modern, parts available, and common engine to install? how about the ford 200 six? ill be happy for your opinion. vinn

engine change; the little 4 cyl. has many problems besides not capable of freeway speeds. the other jeep inline engines aren't much better. the question is which modern, parts available, and common engine to install? how about the ford 200 six? ill be happy for your opinion. vinn

What kind of problems does the 4CYL have?? Mine only has 32k ,,, please inform me of 4CYL issues?
Thx

he is probably talking about the low power and people always complaining of not being able get on the highway without grandma's passing them.

i have had a few 4 cylinder jeeps and they just weren't good highway cruisers. got terrible gas mileage for a 4 cylinder

he is probably talking about the low power and people always complaining of not being able get on the highway without grandma's passing them.

i have had a few 4 cylinder jeeps and they just weren't good highway cruisers. got terrible gas mileage for a 4 cylinder

It's slow as shit, and burns more gas then a v8.whats with that?

If you have to change it, I'd go with a 5.7 liter of some sort and maybe a 4l80E, d300, heavier axles. Oh yeah, don't forget skid plating, lockers, winch, 4 link front and back,hydro assist steering and brakes, and at least 35's.

If you have to change it, I'd go with a 5.7 liter of some sort and maybe a 4l80E, d300, heavier axles. Oh yeah, don't forget skid plating, lockers, winch, 4 link front and back,hydro assist steering and brakes, and at least 35's.

I have this 350 crate motor with MAYBE 500 miles on it , I'm hard pressed Not to drop it in there!! Look at this motor,It has some goodies on it,CARB, Electrical water pump,MSD IGN. Custom oil pan, That thing would be bad ass in my jeep!!
Dontcha. Think?
354453658e5b8a8de5c591b567df4b88-1.png

For highway and around town I would not motor swap. You have s clean low mileage engine.
To improve anything I'd look to lightening the jeep. Gearing properly with the 32's or 31's as mentioned. If you are staying 33s I'd look for narrow tires. They once made 33x9.5r15 that were great.

As for bolt on performance if it makes a difference it is at WOT or really high rpm. Or if you add a turbo.

The only bolt on that made some difference was an electric fan and removing the mechanical. Here the fan only kicks on when you are going less than 35mph or if you have an overheating issue. Removing the clutch fan reduces the load on the engine.
The same goes for AC if you could do without it. Removing it reduces constant engine load.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

I want A/C badly in my jeep, I will always be alone....LOL

thanks, superj. that is the major problems. most will get on the freeway eventually. what a disappointment ! except for the engine,small transmission. hydraulick clutch linkage and extreame gas consumption , the 94 yj is a great rig, i'm keeping mine - even f I have to get to town on the back roads. vinn

Back