What's in your....Rear End?

I have a 94 & 95 wrangler. Both 4 cyl and manual. One I can drive to north shore of island in 4th gear other one I have to shift down to 3rd on a few of the hills. RPMS seem the same. The one that does better I just purchased and it has a 4" suspension lift and 31's but someone said maybe they had 33's and re-geared the rear end?
Does this make sense?
If so how would I be able to tell?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app
1df36757093b6809e914facbbc4c4154-1.jpg

Do these both have the same size tires? I'd start by looking at the tag attached to the rear differential - it should tell you what gears came in it from the factory. It won't help if it was regeared, but it's an easy place to start

If reheated they should update the tag.
There is a way to tell by lifting and supporting the back end so the rear tires can spin. Then spin the rear tire while counting the shaft rotation and dividing one into the other
You likely want to mark the tire and the shaft.

You only need one rotation of the rear tire but more will give a more accurate result.

There can be other reasons for needing to downshift. Anything that takes away from power of the engine. Tuning, A/C of stuck AC clutch, bad clutch fan, stuck brake....

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

As far as supporting the rear and rotating the tires easiest way is Mark the tire and tape a piece of string to drive shaft makes it easier to count the rotations by how many times the string wraps around.

Jeep! not just a vehicle a way of life.

If reheated they should update the tag.
There is a way to tell by lifting and supporting the back end so the rear tires can spin. Then spin the rear tire while counting the shaft rotation and dividing one into the other
You likely want to mark the tire and the shaft.

You only need one rotation of the rear tire but more will give a more accurate result.

There can be other reasons for needing to downshift. Anything that takes away from power of the engine. Tuning, A/C of stuck AC clutch, bad clutch fan, stuck brake....

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

I will try the rotation like you said and see

As far as supporting the rear and rotating the tires easiest way is Mark the tire and tape a piece of string to drive shaft makes it easier to count the rotations by how many times the string wraps around.

Jeep! not just a vehicle a way of life.

Perfect this should make it easy to see. I'll do it this week

Pull the diff cover and get the numbers off the side of the ring gear. Good time to change the fluid.

Post the numbers.

Both Jeeps were 4.10 gears in stock form.

Back