max lift

osito129

I am sure that this has been answered many times over, but I will ask again anyways. What is the most lift I can put on my '93 YJ without having to make any other modifactaions? What I am trying to do is get a little bit of lift so that my 31x10.5's don't rub any more. Can this be fixed with some new rims with a larger offset maybe? -Thanks in advance.- Chris[addsig]

I'd say 2" is the max lift you can do without ANY other modifications. If you install shims between your skid plate and frame to drop the back of the driveline, you can go with a 4" lift, but the 31's would start looking pretty small at that point. Your best option besides the skid plate shimming deal is an SYE (Short Yoke Elliminator). This converts your slip yoke in the NP231 transfer case to a fixed yoke and allows up to a 6" longer drive shaft. Currently, your drive shaft is pretty short (approx 12" joint to joint). That's your first limiting factor.[addsig]

you should be able to get a 2.5in. lift and not have to worry about it. If all you are wanting to do is clear your 31" tires then that should do fine. Typically a SYE becomes neccesary after about 3 or 4 inches, but if i were you i'd look into that at some point anyway. BTW: if you buy a lift from Rough Country, you don't have to worry about shims, they are incorporated into the springs.[addsig]

If you're only trying to clear 31's and you don't need much articulation, I'd go with a body lift. It's cheap and you don't have to modify anything except dropping the Radiator fan shroud. Cake.

c[addsig]

if you wanna go cheap on that... you can get an add-a-leaf, some shackles, and possibly a SMALL body lift... you don't want to do too much body lift, unless you've already lifted the suspension a bunch. And AAL kit usually adds up to 2".. then shackles are good for an inch... that should be ok for you[addsig]

Snitty, or any one, Someone the other day was telling me that they had done an add-a-leaf on a YJ to get an inch of lift. Isn't that impossimbe unless you have a soa setup?

This person that I am talking about didn't.

You can't even remove a leaf to gain height because the top spring is the main spring that attaches to the frame and shackles.

To clear 31's on a YJ, 1 inch bodylift, 1/2 lift shackles, and rearched springs would be best for ride and performance.[addsig]

jps4jeep... the add-a-leaf doesn't lift by adding extra leaf height.. it lifts by adding arch to the springs... [addsig]

Back