Ughhhhh

Hello all,
So, I took my jeep to a friend to put in a new clutch and master cylinder, u joints and such. He gives it back and says I got a bad u joint, but he put it in anyway. So I'm driving and there's this clanky noise and vibrations from hell. I get home, climb under it, and it has so much play. (Rear driveshaft) I took it apart and it's not a bad u joint, it's the wrong size! It was 3.5" and it needed 4". And I noticed while I was under it that the marks I did on the driveshaft when I was going to do the work, are backwards after it was "fixed". It's it possible to put the rear driveshaft back on backwards??? I've never done this work on any vehicle, I'm used to random stuff such as brakes, rotors, water pumps and such. It's a 1995 jeep wrangler rio grande. 4 cyl, standard transmission, 4wd

If it has the same size ujoints on both ends i think it could most definitely be possible. Drive shafts are balanced for rotation and I would suspect that the vibration is coming from the ujoint that is too small. You need to swap ends with the shaft and have the correct unjoints put in or serious damage could occur the transmission and rear end yokes.

There are different size u-joints for the driveshaft than what is in the axels. He should have easily identified the size was wrong.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Back