JK 4WD Shifter Linkage Broken

Herk_Man

Hey all,

Just found my way here. Got a repair issue on my JK Rubicon that I'd like to take care of myself. Underneath, the shifter cable for the 4WD/2WD shifter has lost the clip that keeps the female end of the cable on the pin that allows you to shift into 4WD.

I went to Jeep and they can't order just the little clip. They have to order the entire shifter assembly and wanted like $400 for it. Not an option!

Has anyone had this problem? If so, is there a place that makes individual components like this? Or has anyone come up with a functional workaround?

If I'm not describing the part well enough I can crawl under and get a couple pictures.

Thanks,

Eric

Above is the missing bushing for the center of connector I attached.

These are a known weak point not uncommon to have a few extra in glove box.

google - "jeep jk transfer case bushing" lots of info ideas & tutorials.

Attachments

• TCASE CLIP1.pdf
    38.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
When mine broke the first time, I went to the dealer parts dept because I didn't want to wait - and they told me the same thing, had to order the entire assembly. I went back home and ordered the bushings online $3 each [$15 for 4+shipping] One of those broke 1.5 yr later so now I just have one spare. The hardest part about replacing them is getting access.

Thanks for the help, y'all!!! I have ordered several of these to fix and to keep on hand. I also sent a polite but pointed email to the Jeep dealership about the integrity of their service department. Trying to fix this issue by charging $400 is just plain wrong.

It's 2008 and I'm good to go! It's funny that you ask that (response to Terry's initial reply) because I was reading recently that Wranglers don't have years. They are only know by their letter designations. But looking at other JKs, there are differences so not sure what's up with that. LOL

When mine broke the first time, I went to the dealer parts dept because I didn't want to wait - and they told me the same thing, had to order the entire assembly. I went back home and ordered the bushings online $3 each [$15 for 4+shipping] One of those broke 1.5 yr later so now I just have one spare. The hardest part about replacing them is getting access.

So new question. In researching this I've run across a few posts that indicate that if it's difficult to shift from 2WD to 4WD that you may have other problems. Mine takes a fair amount of pull to get from one to the other and I think it's part of what put so much stress on the bushing. Anyone have any experience making the shifting go smoother?

Often when a 4x4 gets some age on it shifting out of 4 wheel can be problematic. Usually shifting into 4 wheel isn't an issue. Generally shifting while the vehicle is moving slightly helps. Trying different scenarios should let you know what speed [or direction] works best for your jeep.

M
Often when a 4x4 gets some age on it shifting out of 4 wheel can be problematic. Usually shifting into 4 wheel isn't an issue. Generally shifting while the vehicle is moving slightly helps. Trying different scenarios should let you know what speed [or direction] works best for your jeep.

Thanks.

Back