4 Cylinder CJ7 Tire Size

bigcheese191

My plan was to purchase a CJ7 with the 6 cylinder engine, and put a 4 inch lift and 33 inch tires on it. But when a great deal appeared on a very clean 1981 CJ7 with a 4 Cylinder engine, I couldn't pass it up. With the 4 banger should I be reconsidering my choice of 4 inch lift and 33s? I'd appreciate any insight! Thanks!

Not looking to swap the engine at this time.

Welcome to Jeepz.com
If you put 33s on and don't like the power you could always regear the axles. You'll get faster off the line, but will loose some top end on the highway.

Alot depends of what kind of driving you intend to do. Rock crawling versus trail riding, etc. Over all I think you are looking at regearing. That being said I think you can be happy with your 4 banger understanding the limitations.

Thanks for the responses. Won't be doing a ton of rock crawling, mostly trail riding and back roads. I do live in Utah and will be on the highway from time to time, so I'm a bit concerned about having something that can't travel uphill at safe highway speeds.

I'm not really wanting to invest in regearing at the moment, so I might split the difference with a 2.5 inch lift and 31s or 32s and see how that goes.

Back