Oil dipstick tube sheered off at block

danmck1120

2000 CJ sport. How do I get the small part that is still in the block out? Is dropping the oil pan the best method and will the exhaust have to be dropped as well? I am very new to jeeps. Also does anyone have a good idea on how to plug the hole for the time being to get it home?

You mean 2000 TJ

Dowel of wood to plug the hole. Cut it long so there is plenty to pull it out with.
Just be sure it to leave it in there.

From another forum:
11.00mm. Which is slightly less than 7/16" (11.11mm).

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
You mean 2000 TJ

Dowel of wood to plug the hole. Cut it long so there is plenty to pull it out with.
Just be sure it to leave it in there.

From another forum:
11.00mm. Which is slightly less than 7/16" (11.11mm).

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Yes. I meant TJ. My autocorrect doesn't like my jeep I think. Any idea on how to get the leftover tube out of the block? I've only found one decent video on the TJ oil pan removal.. and the dropped/cut the exhaust and took off the starter.

While I've never done it on a jeep the tube isn't that hard to remove. If you can get visegrips on it you'd just wiggle [maybe tap with hammer] until it comes out. If there isn't enough left to get a hold of with pliers use an easy out.

or, one of those pipe expanders. stick the tool in and turn it till it expands enough to grab the piece in the block

While I've never done it on a jeep the tube isn't that hard to remove. If you can get visegrips on it you'd just wiggle [maybe tap with hammer] until it comes out. If there isn't enough left to get a hold of with pliers use an easy out.

Definitely not enough to get a hold of. It's flush.

If it is flush with the block, I would try to find something small (1/32-1/8" dia) and pointed to drive in between the tube and block. This would collapse the tube relieving the tight fit. Maybe use a small drift or center punch to start collapseing the tube at the top then switch to the small pointed tool. I would probably use a short piece of welding rod or brazing rod ground to a point or maybe grind a point on a small shanked screw driver. Once collapsed you may be able to grab hold of it with small needle nose pliars to pull it out. Use caution so it doesn't fall in the oil pan. Hope this helps.

The last time I had something like this happen, I used a tap. I started by using a water color paint brush, and coating the inside of the broken tube and the tap with bearing grease to catch the metal shavings. Then I rigged a small rubber hose up to the hose on my shop vac and held that tight against the die to suck out as many shavings as I could while turning the die. Sometimes the broken piece will just start turning with the die and come right out. If it doesn't, you can thread a bolt into the broken tapped tube and pull. Doing it this way won't expand the tube while pulling on it.
Even though using grease pretty much eliminates any metal shavings from entering the oil pan, I would still recommend changing the oil and filter after installing the new tube.

I was able to tap in an easy out without actually having to "screw" it in. Once it was snug, I twisted and pulled. Tube came right out.

if only I had known that would be the easiest repair..

since then, a new flywheel, throwout bearing, clutch, rear main seal and oil pan seal. I sent it to the dealer for the clutch and transmission stuff. Next thing I know it has a horrible exhaust leak. The dealer didn't even tighten down one of the exhaust pipe flanges and the cross threaded one of the bolts. I Just fixed that tonight.. jeeps are addictive and expensive

yes. tap the tube fragment, insert a bolt ( or stud) attach that two a slide hammer and gently slap it out. WHAT EVER WORKS. vinn

Back