No doors legal?

xt master

I know there is always talk about is it legal or not legal to remove your doors. I say it is level according to this sticker the roof and doors are only to stop the elements from coming into the Jeep not to protect the people. So why would they be needed if they add no safety.

Screenshot_20170816-123109.png

Sent from my Pixel XL using Jeepz.com mobile app

its legal in texas. I googled it one time and the law here says something along the lines of it the doors are not meant to come off, you have to keep them on. I forget the exact wording but jeeps, samurais, etc were good to go.

Playing devil's advocate here - You could say that the windshield is only to prevent the elements from coming in, but it's illegal to drive with that down.

Playing devil's advocate here - You could say that the windshield is only to prevent the elements from coming in, but it's illegal to drive with that down.

Ok
Many motorcycles do not have windshields. And many states that specify helmet use, do not specify face-shield or goggles..

For that matter motorcycles do not have doors or a roof. That no safety device to keep the rider on like a seatbelt.

Just saying.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:

Ok
Many motorcycles do not have windshields. And many states that specify helmet use, do not specify face-shield or goggles..

For that matter motorcycles do not have doors or a roof. That no safety device to keep the rider on like a seatbelt.

Just saying.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app
I agree in PA we do not even have a helmet law any more. So no windshield no Google's no helmet on a motorcycle and your legal take the doors off the Jeep here is your fine..lol

Had an issue with this in Dallas in the mid-90s. Was a mid to late 70s CJ7/CJ5, I forget. Was ticketed for having no doors. Research found that doors were optional from the factory on the Jeep I had. So case dismissed.
Your mileage may vary. This was one experience. Do your research.

Regularly ran around with the windshield down with no problem. Only once did cop ask me to raise my windshield so he could see my inspection sticker. Probably and excuse to run me for wants and warrants, but no problem after that.

It depends on the state. Every state has its own set of vehicle laws.

Ask your insurance agent. The doors are part of the structural integrity of the vehicle, so legal or not, passenger injuries from an accident may not be covered. (The driver's injuries are not covered by your vehicle's liability insurance).

It depends on the state. Every state has its own set of vehicle laws.

Ask your insurance agent. The doors are part of the structural integrity of the vehicle, so legal or not, passenger injuries from an accident may not be covered. (The driver's injuries are not covered by your vehicle's liability insurance).
That was my point of this post. The factory decal or so I assume it's a factory decal says the doors and roof or only to prevent weather not structural or safety.

I can't imagine any state requiring doors on a Jeep, but many do require a specific number of rear-facing mirrors with an unobstructed view.

In this state you're required to have one rear facing mirror, and the windshield rear-view mirror suffices.

TerryMason, according to DOT laws you do not need a windshield but do need working windshield wipers

I’ve never heard of anyone getting pulled over for there door being off. Of course if you have body parts hanging out side the doors whaling and moving, that’s the only scenario I’d see you getting I trouble for.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

I’m sure it goes state by state, but in NY as far as I know, as long as the doors aren’t ment to be swung open. it’s not illegal (this includes minivan sliding side doors) HOWEVER I’ve seen early model Cherokee’s with doors off.....as long as everyone is buckled and you have the correct “driving equipment” such as mirrors you should be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back